1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SQL Front End

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Lounge Lizard, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I am out of touch with databases but somebody here might know. I am looking for some easy to use Windows software than can act as a front end to a SQL database i.e. search, retrieve and update a remote database via SQL using an on-screen form. I want to create a friendly and easy-to-use front end to an Access database which I might want to migrate to MySQL later on.

Any ideas?

2. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

By remote, do you mean over the internet? If so then PHP is probably as good as anything. You will need to create the forms yourself, either manually or with something like Dreamweaver.

If you want/need a Windows front end then Visual Basic or Visual Foxpro would do the job.

3. Lounge Lizard

No, these are too complex for what I want. By remote, I mean connecting via ODBC or something similar on the local network. I am really looking for a simple form creation software that runs SQL under the skin to query a database and display the results.

I can program something if I really have to but I want to pull something together in an afternoon and not take weeks to create a simple self-contained database application.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, Access?

5. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Access, or knock up a web-based front end in Dreamweaver using ASP or ASP.net

6. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

The problem is that if you use Access it will only work against the Access tables you create and you won't be able to migrate to a SQL database later. VB or Visual Foxpro will work against a SQL database.

7. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Maybe a freebie from here will do the job.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Access is not quite that limited. You can connect to any ODBC database for which you have the driver, including Access itself, and link to the required tables. Alternatively, you can map directly to the remote Access tables without building an ODBC connection. With drag-and-drop query construction, auto form construction, and a report builder considered one of the best, I think it could be a good solution.

9. Lounge Lizard

Nick

The forms design capability of Access is lousy and quirky and I want something that is database independent so I can change the back end without having to change the UI.

10. Lounge Lizard

I find that bit hilarious. Like all of Microsoft applications, it is geared to how MS think you should do things. I hate the clever query constructor and drop into a SQL view as soon as I can, form construction is crude and requires a lot of fiddling about to make a form look half decetn and even then Access can be pedantic about what it will and won't let you do (how can you delete records from a form? - the Access help tells you how to do it but the icon it tells you to click on doesn't appear on the form even though Delete is enabled). The report writer, to me, is just as clunky and I prefer to write scripts that extract the data with a SQL query and squirt out HTML formatted as I want.

IMHO, Access is a good database spoilt by the over-complex and too-clever tools provided to access the underlying data.

11. Lounge Lizard

Thanks Ian - a couple of links on that page look interesting.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, I agree that Access is far from perfect, but we use it quite extensively for similar purposes, and if you've already got it it's a no-cost option. It's certainly true that you can spend longer getting the input form right than on every other part of database design - but every time I get annoyed with it, I think of dBase IV and feel happy again. :D

13. Lounge Lizard

I used to use mainframe databases on DEC VAX - easy to set up forms that could do a lot more than what Access can do. It's sad to think that I was using easier and more powerful software 15 years ago and that's a hell of a long time in the computer industry.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If only we could go back to mainframe applications.... :(

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Go back? I'm sitting faffing with COBOL, CICS and DB2 just now.....done some stuff off-host too but I can't work those 'user friendly' MS apps either ;)

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I must confess, it is certainly not my tool of choice - I use VS.NET 2005 C# with SQL Server/Oracle/Sybase mostly - but to build a quick and dirty front end to a DB to run a few queries I have found it pretty handy, particularly if you don't have any other tools at hand. Also, with the right tools, an Access report can be embedded into a VS.NET application, saving the considerable cost of Crystal Reports.