1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports photography and mirrorless

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by P_Stoddart, Apr 18, 2017.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

"He has been an official Fujifilm X Photographer since 2015."

I'm sure his opinion is valid, and I'm sure mirrorless cameras are perfectly capable, but he's also an ambassador for Fujifilm. He's paid to like them.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Paul, welcome back. Yes, some sports photographers are using mirrorless. Not sure that many are. I would have thought that it is less suitable than a full DSLR for all sorts of reasons, not least handling. Would have thought mirrorless is much more useful for general press work, where long and very long lenses are only occasionally needed but always carried. Cheers, Oly

4. 0lybacker

:) :confused: :eek:

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to read the opinions of a sports photographer who exclusively uses Fuji CSC kit - if such a beast exists - who isn't in their employ.

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. P_Stoddart

I always thought sports shooters not keen on EVF because of electronic lag.

Although over time the lag can be reduced to possibly a marginal level, it cannot be zero as with OVF.

I have done sports shooting on EVF based cameras, once you get used to the lag you soon build into your shooting technique.

I notice the XT2 has a 100 fps refresh rate.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

People do get attached to particular equipment in any trade. Once you're confident it does the business you stick with it.

8. P_Stoddart

Well in the case of Jeff Carter clearly not. He was a former Nikon shooter using dSLR. Now switched to Fujifilm mirrorless.

He must have felt or experienced a benefit from shooting mirrorless. The kit is much lighter. :)

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's hard enough trying to look through an optical viewfinder for hours on end so good luck to anyone wanting to do it with an EVF.

10. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I have a friend who works for MSV, and for the new season has gone over to the Fuji X-T2. First couple of shoots, keeper rate was down but now looks like he's back on target.

He sold all his Canon gear so guess he is committed to the Fuji

11. 0lybacker

Yes, and then there's the 'twist effect' of long lenses. Some will be other makes, not designed for the camera so handholding during a long event will be a pain, a real pain or 'so horrible that it is impractical' pain.

12. 0lybacker

P, one of the sales pitches for the new Fuji's is that EVF refresh is now very short. Best of all CSC manufacturers, perhaps? Cheers, Oly

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I partially agree with this. I've used an X-T1 for some rugby photography and, yes, you can get used to the EVF lag - I had to develop a strange technique of using what was in the EVF for framing (and ignoring everything else!) and using my other eye to follow the action and dictate when to take the shots.

Of course when I went back to my Nikon I was able to do the whole thing through the viewfinder and keep my left eye properly closed as befits a gentleman of my station!

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

While an EVS has lag, and is always showing what happened a fraction before.
    So does a DSLR as the lag takes place while the mirror flips and we capture the image a moment later.
    In both cases our reaction time is greater than the EVS or mirror delay.
    In both cases we have to learn to anticipate action by the required fraction.
    Both are learned responses and neither is more difficult than the other, Just Different.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd agree with that however I believe they differ in how they might fatigue the user. And I say might because I've never done a long stint with an EVF but have done with DSLRs. Brief encounters with EVFs have been enough to put me off wanting to use them for any length of time.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This seems to be the only active thread in which to discuss Sony's latest offering, so here goes.
    The latest Sony is way beyond most amateurs but is interesting because their technoloogy will become available in more affordable bodies PDQ.
    Let's see how the beast does in real life.
    I' m not expressing an opinion because I have no experiece of the new camera or indeed the D5 or Cannon equivalent (but do use a brace of Nikon D500).
    Sony may have a genuine sports and wildlife mirrorless success.
    Let's keep an open mind.

17. P_Stoddart

I presum Learning you mean this:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/sony-introduces-high-speed-alpha-9-104629

The key point of it's spec is "blackout -free"

The weakness of the dSLR design has always been the fact the mirror has to move so you lose your view of the subject in the OVF.

Mirrorless can fix that and has no upper limit of FPS.

The dSLR was always going to hit a physics barrier ie unlikely you can get a mirror to move above 25+ fps.

It's interesting but soon and very soon during press events you won't hear the noise of shutters going off anymore.

Just flashguns pulsing. LOL

One thing this new camera shows is Sony are very very serious about become a pro brand in the photography market.

So the conclusion, we are there.

Its downhill for SLR design from this point onward. Beginning of the end of a era.

The SLR has been a wonderful design for photographers, great breakthrough but it's time to move on.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

No it isn't. Canon proved that with their various pellicle mirrored cameras. Nikon also used the technique in their F2H. Olympus used a completely prismatic system for their E-10P and E-20P. Sony have used the technique in a dozen cameras since 2010, though they couple it to an electronic eye level finder which seems a little odd but customers appear to like it. It's amazing how much information is available if you bother to look for it instead of just writing nonsense.

19. P_Stoddart

Camera with pellicle mirrors are not traditional SLRs LOL

I am talking about what is currently in production today from Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc :)

The Sony design you speak of (I own one myself a A58) are classed as SLTs not SLRs

Yes, the pellicle mirrors film camera designed acheived zero black out OVF but the cost was too high in terms of quality and exposure.

Plus the OVF was darker to use. In the case of film pellicle cameras, physics came into play moving the film LOL

I had hoped that SLTs that Sony designed could take advantage of the fixed mirror and also have zero black out. But I suspect the issue here
    which has now been address is pure computing power. Probably explains the high cost of the new design :)

With this design you win all round, you see what the sensor sees (which I think is better) and you get all the light from the lens on to the sensor.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Putting together other people's parroted opinions does not a coherent argument make, especially when those opinions are contradictory. Or simply ridiculous. Never used a pellicle mirror SLR, have you?

Andrew Flannigan likes this.