1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoonerisms

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

These have always fascinated me, a few (clean) examples usually good for a chuckle, I'm sure we'll get a few more!

Feather warcast

Straining up under the bear - or - staring up under the brain

It's kisstomary to cuss the bride

Go shake a tower

Bat flattery

Nicking your pose

etc etc ... ... ...

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes love them and malapropisms, of which my late Gran was a great exponent. Having the children humanised to go abroad was one of hers.

Also find mixed metaphors very useful on occasions: barking up a blind alley, a horse of a different feather, etc.

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

One of Spooner's originals was reputed to be "I will not lecture to beery wenches".

Sometimes the ruder ones are stretched out a bit, such as the difference between Paisley and Morocco being that, in Morocco, the Moors come out of the hills. (Not sure if that translates to a southern idiom but Zou, Kate and Geren will understand.

Trannifan and Geren like this.
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

And the difference between a mountain goat and a goldfish.....the goldfish mucks around the fountain.

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I'm not s drunk as some thinkle peep I am,

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Or the man sitting in a family's pew: "I'm sorry, but I was sewn to this sheet".

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Not exactly a malapropism, but nevertheless may be worth passing on ...

“The wife texted me earlier this evening to say she was in Casualty. I've just watched tonight's episode but didn't manage to spot her in it. The thing is, I’m also waiting for her to turn up and cook the dinner.”

I hasten to add, I'm the one who does all the cooking here. ....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017