1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spitzbergen Gallery

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Iloca, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

I found a link to this gallery of images taken by Witek Kaszkin during a year spent as a meteorologist at the Polish Polar Station at the Hornsund Fjord, Spitsbergen.

Some stunning shots, well worth a look if you love the raw beauty of the Arctic.

Richard

2. Ben78

Ben78 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the pictures but I can't see a link? :D

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

4. equiphoto

equiphoto Well-Known Member

*****FLASH ALERT*****

5. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

6. Ben78

Ben78 Well-Known Member

Simply beautiful, thank you for sharing! Spitzbergen is one of those places I've always wanted to visit. I especially love the image of the single polar bear on around the sixth page.

7. Geoffers

Geoffers Well-Known Member

I get a mixture of feelings when I see a site like this. Part of me wonders if it's worth me carrying on with a camera when I see so many pictures of such quality. I'll never get that good.

Mostly, though, I'm just blown away by the pictures. It's not just that he has an incredible subject to work with, but he's so good both technically and artistically. I just wish there were some English translations of his captions!

As far as Peter's
    is concerned, I feel this is a site that shows how flash can be used to advantage - surely even the greates anti flashites here (and I'm not a fan) will accept that at least it didn't get in the way too much here.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nope, WAAAAAY too slow. :(

9. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Seriously? I can get through the full gallery in 80secs or less, unless thats because I've been through them before. :D

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Desparately slow, not just the gallery loading, but each pic. Great pics, but...

11. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

I wonder why I can get them so quick, less than a second each pic. I suppose my connection is 8.1Mbps but even so I've had regular images load slower.

Richard

12. Geoffers

I have only a 1Mps connection and I still was able to see the pictures as fast as I wanted.

13. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

To be honest I didn't consider that it might be slow. Something to bear in mind in future.

Glad you enjoyed them :cool:

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

DOn't get me wrong, I enjoyed them - very much - I only commented because Geoff said it was a good use of Flash. I quite agree that it's a sensibly restrained use of Flash, but I had to really want to look at the pics to continue - which I did. But it reminded me of dial-up days! :eek:

And FWIW, it seems as slow on whatever connection I've looked at it on. Maybe it just doesn't like me! :D

15. Geoffers

Nick, are you sure you don't have a flash inhibitor in your browser? Disable it and you could become a convert...

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I doubt it on both fronts! :D

I'm sorry, but 8-10 seconds per picture, which is what it seems to take on both the machines I've used with different connections and browsers (IE 6&7, Firefix), just doesn't make any sort of sense.

I'm actually playing with a Flash version of my own site to see if I can make anything that really does work quickly enough - I have kept an open-ish mind on the subject, just I've yet to find a site that doesn't prove Brian Reid's quote in my sig.

17. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Oh I get it, I always thought that referred to 'Flash' as in, well Flashgun. :eek:

18. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Well it just needs to get to know you better ;) :cool:

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I suspect it already has... :D

20. Melodysk

Melodysk Well-Known Member

Well I thought the site was fantastic and loaded very quickly. I especially liked the Northern Lights shots