1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Wales/Cardiff

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Johanneks, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Johanneks

Johanneks New Member

Hi!

I'm an international photography student in Cardiff, and so I'm not very familiar with Cardiff/South Wales. I am doing a project where I'm showing the contrast between humans and nature, and I would be very happy if anyone could help me finding locations with something like this:

It CAN be:
    - abandoned buildings
    - abandoned or empty areas
    - any factory you can think of
    - any factory pipe, maybe with a lot of smoke coming out.
    - A lonely tree in the middle of "no where"
    - A plant growing in a strange place
    - buildings/factories/something created by humans in the middle of nature
    - location that shows environmental issues somehow maybe

Or any other place you could think of connected to this!! I don't have a car, and it's a little difficult to just start taking the train to random train stations to see if I can find what I'm looking for. I can be outside Cardiff as well, but not if it's more then three hours to travel by train.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

I don't live in Cardiff, but have enjoyed photographing the Cardiff Bay Barrage (water bus from the shops area can get you across) and the surrounding area. No idea whether the local authority have "sanitised" the area at and above the west end of the Barrage, but if the abandoned buildings are still there, they might give you some ideas. At the west end of the barrage, there's a decent restaurant, The Custom House but next to it was (is?) something like Victorian offices, now abandoned. If you walk up the steep road to Penarth you may find the old tenement style buildings - but they may have been demolished or improved.

Google "Cardiff Bay barrage" and use StreetView to see images of the area.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Water Bus??? Pah, I've walked from the castle to the Bay and then across the barrage and back. Plenty of good opportunities in/around the City centre. I'm hoping to return there sometime in the next 12 months