1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by MickLL, May 29, 2019.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm trying to make a (voice) recording with my PC . All I have for a microphone is one of those logitech headset things. The sort that you see on TV! I have the built in Windows software and also some freeware called 'Audacity'.

I'm unhappy with the sound I'm getting which, to me, is rather 'woolly. Any advice please either with technique, software or equipment.

Thanks
    MickLL'

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No idea but if it is you that you are recording then you need someone else to judge the sound because you'll hate what you really sound like.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Audacity is actually very good, excellent for the price. You need a better microphone, the one you have will have a response curve optimised for telephone standard communications. You can get something better for around £30 from Amazon. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samje-Head...al-instruments&sprefix=microp,mi,159&sr=1-172 would be better than what you have. (Not sure this particular one will work with your sound card though).

Then you need to equalise the signal, probably add some top end, even if you can't actually hear much above 12KHz you will notice if it is missing. Audacity can do that for you too, Effect, Equalization. you don't need much, say +3dB at most. You may need tome cut at the bottom end too say -2dB at 200Hz and below.

Other than that, get someone else to listen to the recording and tell you how it sounds.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My daughter used Audacity when she was recording for audio books and it was good enough for the professional editors as long as she keep to their very exacting rules. She had a decent mic, approx £100 and used a small sound absorbing panel.

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks folks.
    Rather than jump in and spend money I've arranged a session with a mate in my camera club who does these AV things. I remembered that his sound was impeccable. I'm going to his house early next week to do some tests.

He also uses Audacity so I'm hoping to get some pointers for that too. So far I've played with it but just don't understand many of the words and so I have no hope of knowing what the adjustments actually do!

It's definitely not a question of hearing my own voice. In a previous life I used to give lectures/speeches that were often recorded and so I know what I sound like. As a result I know that I need to make a real effort to make my voice interesting rather than a bit of a drone!!! I always feel as if I'm 'overacting' but I'm told that it's fine from the audiences point of view.

MickLL

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. The first time I heard my voice when I recorded my Ansaphone message at work, I thought it was Marvin the Paranoid Android. On a bad day! :eek:;)

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Update.

I didn't want to spend money and so found a workround. I used my iPhone as the microphone (recorded a voice memo) , emailed the recording to myself, did a bit of adjustment in audacity (especially cleaning the so called silences!) and Bingo! Not the very best quality but easily good enough for my purposes.

MickLL