1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SLT-A65V for video recording?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Juusuhako, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Juusuhako

Juusuhako Member

Hello everyone,
    in connection with my job I am doing a lot of filming (from super local video ads & news, to various "profile/presentation" films for companies, showcasing their products/factory/whatever.)

As me and my colleague are just starting we need a decent, semi-good camera. We've before had a Canon 70D and 80D which we were very fond of, but this is no longer the case unfortunately, but we want something thats on pair with them.

We've found a 2nd hand Sony A65 with the following lenses:
    Sal1650
    Sal55200-2
    Sal50f18

We actually don't have much knowledge (if any) about lenses since we usually had a guy hired for this. So, overall, the A65 with these 3 lenses, should we be be able to get some super nice and crisp videos? An overall explanation of the different lenses would be awesome too, so we dont end up buying something we might never need or use.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well, the 16-50 f2.8 is a good sharp lens (assuming that is the lens with the camera, not the 18-55) as is the 50mm f1.8, in reality the zoom is probably more use for what you want. The 55-200 is no great shakes, but not dreadful either, it depends how much telephoto work you are envisaging really.

3. Juusuhako

Juusuhako Member

Thanks for the reply. I do have this thread on a different website too but I would like as many opinions as possible. Like mentioned we usually worked with a guy who was in charge of equipment, but after a disband of the workteam we're left to ourselves and me and my colleague dont have any technical/specification experience with cameras.

Below I listed 5 other 2nd hand cameras at the same price of the A65 that I found. Would it be too much trouble to look at them and give an opinion on them, maybe one of those is a better camera/purchase for us, for filming?

EOS 60D + EFS 15-85mm
    EOS 70D + 18-135mm IS STM
    EOS 7D + Canon EFS 15-85mm + Canon EF 75-300mm
    EOS 750D + 75-300mm f/4-5.6 iii + Tokina 11.16mm f/2.8 Canon
    EOS 760D + 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The EFS 15-85 is reckoned to be a much better lens that the 18-55 f3.5-5.6, if you need a 75-300 or similar the cheaper Canon variants are inferior to the more expensive model, consider a Tamron 70-300 VC (around £200 used), better than the cheap Canon lens and the cheap Tamron. I would reckon any of the bodies you list would do what you want, the 7D is the best built and the three figure models have the lightest construction. Choose the camera you like best, partner the better lenses with it and you should be fine. For you Canon would seem a better choice than Sony as you are already familiar with them.

5. Juusuhako

Juusuhako Member

Thanks. 7D is quite old though isn't it? From 2009 or 2010 or something? Does it live up to todays standards?

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The rise in standards from one model to a replacement is now fairly marginal, not like the quantum leaps of previous times, the resolutions are not changing greatly in most cases, but high ISO noise levels have improved somewhat. The 7D is a robust camera compared with the others, really you take your choice of what matters to you, but these were well regarded when new and are still very serviceable now, many Canon users on this forum have them and see no real reason to replace them.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

If it's primarily video you are interested in have you considered getting dedicated video camera?

8. Juusuhako

Juusuhako Member

So you think the 7D is a better pick over the A65, included the different lenses? :)

We have, but its not really in the budget. The only I've found similarly priced is a Panasonic DV HC VX990, but we'd not be able to change lenses with it though.

9. Juusuhako

Juusuhako Member

-mistake post-

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

For you it probably is, it is certainly more robust with rather better aftermarket support for accessories, should you need them.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Quite a number of video shooters seem to favour a DSLR for their work.