1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Manual Handling Problems

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by dufus, Jan 3, 2008.

1. dufus

dufus Member

Hi I'm new to the forum and also fairly new to my Sony A100 which I've just started to use manually. So far I have been experiencing some difficulties when trying to set shutter speeds and apertures.

For example I try to set a shutter speed of say 150 sec and then try to adjust the aperture to zero on the EV scale and am unable to do so. I also find that the shutter speed changes when I adjust the aperture value. I always thought that the shutter speed and the aperture could be adjusted independently of each other regardless of the settings chosen?

I have also experienced difficulties in altering both the shutter speed and apertures which appear to become frozen. I find myself turning the control dial and not being able to select the shutter speed I require without also adjusting the aperture

I would appreciate any advice from other A100 users, as to how they set up the camera prior to shooting in manual mode. Either I really am a dufus and need to spend more time learning the cameras settings or there may be something wrong with the camera?

2. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

How are you trying to adjust the aperture? I don't think you'll be able to adjust it to zero. Depending on the lens, it should go from aproximately 4 upwards.

Sounds like you have the dial set to Shutter or Aperture Priority. You need to have it set to "M". If it is set to "M" and the control wheel is also adjusting the Aperture, then you may need to take it back to where you bought it.

3. dufus

dufus Member

Re: Sony A100 Manual Handling Problems

Thanks for replying so promptly. I have been using the camera set to M for manual having previously always used A for aperture priority. The problem seems to have started when using M for manual, and trying to match a shutter speed with the correct aperture. For example I try to set a shutter speed using the control dial and cannot reduce the shutter speed without adjusting the aperture value as well. It's hard to explain and but the shutter speed I'm trying to select is being dictated to by the aperture value. Why can I not select the shutter speed to whatever I want regardless of the aperture? I thought the whole point of shooting in manual was to be able to use whatever shutter speed and aperture you wanted without the camera stopping you from doing so, even if the values selected are incorrect?

4. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Re: Sony A100 Manual Handling Problems

Does sound like there could be a fault there. I take it you're only turning the wheel and not holding down any buttons at the same time?

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You should be doing exactly as shown here (page 37 instructions) - just 3 steps - no more. If the camera doesn't respond as shown you have a fault.

[​IMG]

6. dufus

dufus Member

Hi, I think the problem may be intermittent as I've just turned the camera on for the first time since last night, and the control wheel was just spinning and the shutter speed would not drop below 3200sec. I then pressed the FN button in the middle of the function dial and it seemed to clear the problem. I've just found the camera receipt and have until tomorrow to be inside the 1 year guarantee, so I'm going to take the camera back to the shop it came from and ask them to send it to Sony for checking over. I'll keep you posted...

7. dufus

dufus Member

Thanks Rog and Marc, I think the camera may be faulty.

David

8. Roger_Provins

Get it back down to the shop pronto :(

9. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

And let us know how you get on.

10. dufus

dufus Member

Took the camera back to Jessops today and they are going to send it back to Sony. Looks as though I'll be without the camera for a month, but it'll be worth it. Thanks for the advice and prompting me to take it back to the shop. I'll let you know it turns out.

David

11. dufus

dufus Member

Well I finally got the Sony Alpha A100 back from Jessop's repairers and was told they adjusted the white balance... This seemed strange as I was not complaining about the white balance. The original problem still remains, when I use the camera in fully manual mode. When I try and set the shutter speed by turning the command dial, the values can jump from say 125/sec up to 4000/sec simply by clicking onto the next notch on the command dial. The aperture values also do the same thing!
    Now I know this is not right as during my enforced separation from the Alpha while it was being repaired, I went a purchased a Nikon D40X out of sheer frustration. I have none of the problems when using the Nikon in manual mode and can only assume that the command wheel on the Sony is faulty.
    Has anyone else experienced similar problems, and if so how can I resolve this problem? I have considered cutting my losses and selling the camera, but the camera seem practically worthless on the second hand market and I still think it takes good pictures in aperture and shutter priority.

Any comments or advice would be gratefully received.

12. Roger_Provins

Clearly Jessops have not rectified or even identified the original fault. Return and complain!

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

You should have some repair docket from Sony with a reference number on it. It might be worth phoning them at their Central Servicing Dept. at Bridgend and enquiring. The people I've spoken to there were helpful - at least you should discover how your problem was described to them.

14. cougarscoach

cougarscoach New Member

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum have discovered it whilst trying to find out whats wrong with my A100. You appear to have had the same fault as me a while back and I was wondering if you got it fixed and if so, how? My A100 control dial has a mind of its own as yours did. Can you help please?

Cheers.

15. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Hi cougarscoach and welcome.

Not sure what happened with dufus's A100 and he doesn't appear to have posted here for 7 months so it's possible that he only registered to post this particular query.

My only advice to you would be to return the camera to Sony for repair. Is it still under warranty?

16. cougarscoach

cougarscoach New Member

Fabs, No further forward so my friend kindly offered me my money back. Just bought an A300 body from Jessops.
    Cheers.

17. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

No probs. Glad it worked out in the end, you've got a good camera there.