1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony H400 shutter speed value is nowhere to be seen?!

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Georgeeastham, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Georgeeastham

Georgeeastham New Member

Recently bought the sony dsc h400 and have been playing round with it quite a bit, noticed the photos were a little blurry. The problem is even when I'm in shutter priority mode I can't find any way of changing the shutter speed, or even see what the speed is set to! Beginning to think there is a fault with the camera it's that difficult to find! Anyone had this problem or can tell me how to sort it cause it's driving me crazy!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

First question is what does the manual say!

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sod all!... http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4533868111.pdf

This appears to be one of those cameras where a decent printed manual is not supplied and the thing they do supply would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic - typical Sony...

After a good deal of rooting around in the equally user unfreindly on-line guide I located this page: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4488060111/EN/contents/TP0000233982.html. Apparently you have to press the control button - thats the one in the centre of the round multiway controller on the back then rock the same control pad up or down to change speed. Instructions for the other modes are here:http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4488060111/EN/cover/level3_07.html

Porbably quite simple when you get used to it...:rolleyes:

4. Tony993

Tony993 New Member

I came across this post awhile back while trying to manually set shutter speed,

Ive read the shutter speed of the sony dsc h400 is able to go as low as 30 seconds however i can only get it to go to 1/4 :/

Any suggestions would be very appreciated !

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

My guess is that 30 seconds is only possible in manual mode - annoying but quite typical of this class of camera (not just Sony's either).

There's instructions here: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4488060111/EN/contents/TP0000233984.html

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

According to the page related to manual exposure as given in the link: "Select a shutter speed from 1/2000 seconds to 30 seconds."...

[​IMG]

8. Philip Edwards

Philip Edwards New Member

9. Philip Edwards

Nigel,

Did you discover how to set the shutter speed on your Sony H400?

If not, here's how to do it:-

In "Manual" mode, press the central button on the four way circular selector on back of camera.

You will see a set of arrow heads light up yellow above the shutter speed and "F" number.

Either press the top segment of the circular selector (to increase the shutter speed), or press the lower segment of the circular selector (decrease the shutter speed).

If you want to set the shutter speed to 30secs, you have to keep pressing (or hold the lower section of circular selector) and you will see the shutter speed decrease to 1/4 sec. It will then go to 1/3 sec where you will see two letters appear (in white inside a grey box) just to the left of the shutter speed numbers. The letters indicate that the "noise" suppression system has kicked in.

If you keep pressing the lower section of circular selector you will see 2.5 (secs) appear, then 2, then 1.6, 1.3, 1" (sec). Keep pressing then you will see the shutter speed increasing - not in speed, but in the amount of time the shutter is open (the small " marks indicate the seconds that shutter will open for). Keep pressing and you will eventually reach your 30" seconds shutter opening time.

This feature only works in either "Manual" or "Shutter Priority" modes.

Also, (as you may know) the longer you keep the shutter open, the longer the camera will take to process the photo - a 10" second shutter opening will take a further 10 seconds to write the photo to memory. A 30" second shutter opening will take the camera 30" seconds to write it to memory.

Finally, (as you will no doubt know), you will need to mount the camera on a tripod for long shutter openings - otherwise you are not going to get sharp images at all!

Hope this helps.

Phil Edwards.
    North Wales.
    UK.

PS. I have the Sony H400 and I'm finding it a great camera!
    Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...owhere-to-be-seen.122221/#QmJE6b3t9mkqvO9s.99

10. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Hi guys.

I am 100% completely new to photography (aside from the odd snap on a smart phone) With my job i travel alot. So i have taken photography up as a hobby as some of the places i go as so stunning i want to reminise.

I went out last week and brought a Sony DSC-H400.

I have managed to get some great shots.

Where i need you guys is with the use of shutter speeds ISO and appeture. (Excuse the spelling)

Every time i set my shutter speed so its faster my image goes darker and vise versa on my camera display. I cant use flash in shutter speed mode.

I have read, i can take pics of high speed vehicles like trains and blurr the back ground or the other way blurred train focused background.

Is this achivable or am i being completely stupid?

TIA people

Si.

11. PeteRob

For next time it is better to start a new query than jump on the back of someone else's - not to worry this time around.
    What matters for the image is the total amount of light captured which is the combination of the aperture (size of the "hole" that lets light in) and the exposure time ( also called shutter speed). The exposure time can vary over a wide range but the aperture can only vary by as much as the lens physically allows. If you make your exposure time half its value, say 1/125 to 1/250 then the lens has to open up its diameter to let twice as much light in. BUT if it is at its biggest value it can't - so you don't have enough light and your picture gets dark. If you go the other way - making long exposure times so that moving things like trains blur (or if you move the camera you make the background blur) the opposite happens - the camera makes the aperture smaller until it reaches the smallest value and then your pictures get too light.
    You can control the sensitivity of the sensor by changing the ISO value by a certain amount.
    people who make very long exposure pictures actually put a filter in front of the lens to cut down the light. It is called a neutral density filter and comes in different strengths. Hope that helps

12. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Really appreciate the reply. Sorry for hijacking. I was reading the the info given as it was in relation to the camera i have.
    I think i have a bigger understanding.

I think i may start my own feed as i am honestly completley new to it.

Thanks again bud.

13. Philip Edwards

Simon,

You've been given good advice there.

You could also try putting the camera on "Auto." Setting the brightness using the "Histogram" setting (I think you press the bottom section of the round button on back of camera), then aim at your subject, pressing the shutter halfway down to focus, then "panning" the camera along with the subject whilst you press the shutter. This should give you a bright pic, with the subject stationary and the back ground blurred.

Regards,

Phil Edwards.
    North Wales.
    UK.

14. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Thanks for that. Haven't even thought of using the histogram (dont know how that works yet)

I will try that technique Phil.

I appreciate everyones input. Like i said im a complete rookie.

Thanks
    Si

15. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS New Member

HI
    I HAVE A SONY H400.i am just messing about with it in manual, by the way i am a learner. in manual what would you say the shutter speed should be or what numbers it should be. ( i have so much to learn!!! )

16. PeteRob

It is best to open a new question. This 2015 thread was already "hijacked" in 2016. There is no way to answer your question. The "correct" exposure = amount of light needed depends on the scene and the ISO setting on the camera (sensitivity to light) and is determined by both aperture and exposure time (shutter speed).

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

What does the camera say you should have the shutter speed and aperture set to ?
    It was there , we are not !

If you just want correctly exposed picture's , instead of shooting manually set the camera to "Aperture Priority" for full control of depth of field , the camera will then select the correct shutter speed for the metered reading .
    A landscape shot would typically use a high aperture number , on a compact camera that might be f/8 .
    For good seperation from the background , a potrait for example , use f/2.8 .

Or use "Shutter Priority" to select a shutter speed suitable for the job in hand .
    E.g , 1/1000 second to freeze action , sport type shots .
    A speed of 1/20th second would give a longer exposure for such as a waterfall where you want to show a bit of movement .

You tend to use "Manual Exposure" mode when you want to ignore the cameras recomended meter settings , either for artistic reasons ; high key or low key , or because your using external flash lighting that the camera can't meter for .

In which case , there's no point asking us because the final exposure is up to you , or in the case of external flash you either get a flash meter of take a few test shots .

Any further questions would be best in a new thread that you start , and will likely get more answers .