1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony H400 HELP!

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Lauren Eastham, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Hi there!

I am completely new to the world of cameras and it's my first "half decent" camera that I have bought.

I am struggling with taking pictures without the flash. My photos just appear really blurry and not at all crisp as I thought they would be. I bought the camera thinking that if I'm paying over £200 then the picture quality is going to be really good (maybe a little naive). I feel that the picture quality is just like a £40 basic digital camera I used to own.

So what I'm asking is, do I need to use the flash all the time for my pictures to be of a good quality, even in daylight? Or am I not using the camera properly.

ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc are all still really alien to me so I'm still trying to understand them.

With a 3 week holiday to the Philippines in 5 days I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me, so that I won't have awful pictures to look back on!

Thanks in advance!

2. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi, you're not using the camera properly. We'll need the info on what settings you are using before we can help ie what mode do you have the camera on ? Auto, manual, scene ? Also an example of one of your photos with the aperture, shutter speed and ISO would be helpful. :)

3. I have pretty much tried every mode and played with changing the aperture, ISO and shutter speed. I will take some photos and upload them later, so you can have a nosey

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There are two (three) reasons for blurry photos. Camera shake and poor focus (the subject moved).

Camera shake happens to everyone if the exposure time is too long for you to hold the camera steady. What is "too long" depends on you and on the focal length (amount of zoom) you are using. Some people have rock steady hands and others wobble all over the place. If the camera is zoomed out to a long distance then any movement is magnified. A rule of thumb is to have the exposure time less than 1/Fl where Fl is the effective focal length of the lens in 35 mm terms. So if the setting is 50 mm the exposure time should be less than 1/50th of a second and if the setting is 200 mm it should be less than 1/200 s.

An easy error to make is to snatch at the camera when you make the exposure. Hold it still and don't drop,it from your eye as you push the button.

Focusing systems vary. Most cameras let you focus as you push the shutter release half way and then this is locked until you complete the action of taking a picture. However most cameras also have a continuous focus mode designed to help you with moving subjects. If you try to focus on one thing then move the camera with continuous focus on then the results can be unpredictable.

if the subject moves then it will be blurred unless the exposure time is short enough to freeze the action. For someone walking 1/125 s may be fast enough but 1/250 or less is usual for anything faster or when using a long lens which magnifies the movement.

Flash is very fast 1/10,000 s so if everything is sharp with flash and blurred without the likelihood is that you are moving and using long exposure times, 1/30 s or longer for say family photos for which you would use an effective focal length of about 30 mm. It takes a very steady hand to hold much longer even with image stabilisation.

RogerMac likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

6. Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm going to spend a day this weekend to really play about with it. I think the problem is probably down to my unsteady hands and the fact that I'm trying to take pictures of my pets who can be quite camera shy. If you all think that the camera is good then it must be down to user error!

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

All of the advice above is good and I would just emphasise some points - first I note it has a enormous zoom range so bring the zoom back almost as far as it will go (Wide angle) and do initial testing at this setting. Secondly it may have a significant "shutter lag" - that's a delay between pressing the shutter and the exposure being taken and sometimes it is very easy to move the camera during this delay, just keep it as steady as you can. Thirdly the camera could be set to manual focus by mistake (or hardware fault) and the AF has never been used, do you get a beep when the button is half pressed?

If it looks like a hardware problem return the camera to the supplier

8. Helen1815

Helen1815 New Member

I have just purchased this camera too ready for my trip to Oregon... Did you manage to get better photos? I haven't had a massive play around but all mine so far are a little shoddy.
    Please do let me know if you sorted things and what settings you prefer :)

9. Hi,

I actually did manage to get some really good shots! I'm not perfect but I was happy with my pictures. Here's a couple of photos from my time in the Philippines

Attached Files:

10. Helen1815

Helen1815 New Member

They look alright! Did you just play around with things until it was right?

11. Yes just played about with the camera. It's quite easy to work so you should be fine.

12. Helen1815

Helen1815 New Member

Thank you