1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DT 35mm f:1.8 SAM

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jan 1, 2019.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Earlier this year I posted a thread about the 85mm f:2.8 SAM 'Easy choice' lens, and subsequently bought one. It is very sharp, focusses quickly and quietly, and is very light. The downside is that it has poor contrast, but that is easy to fix in post-capture processing.

Browsing the web recently, I came across a conjecture that the Sony DT 35mm f:1.8 SAM was originally designed for full frame - Sony described it as 'wide angle', which it would hardly be as a DT/APSC lens. Also, the kurtmunger.com website shows exceptional edge sharpness for this price point, with modest vignetting.

So, the crux of the matter - has anybody tried this lens on full frame? It will clearly give heavy vignetting, but does it actually clip the corners of the frame? Vignetting can fixed, and a photoshop action can be built, once the amount has been established.

Incidentally, I am not being a cheapskate hers, I am just trying to build up a set of very light, small primes for my 'ultra light' pocket-fitting kit, without giving up my full-frame DSLRs.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

TBH I imagine you would get quite a lot of 'vignetting'. The corner images on the kurtmunger site show a fair degree of softness suggesting that they are quite close to the edge of the image circle. As the APS frame is much smaller than 35mm you would get a partial circle in the middle of the frame surrounded by a lot of unusable black.

Personally I think you'd do better to search for a secondhand full frame 35mm that you can certain will work properly...

3. SqueamishOssifrage

The only other 35mm prime in A mount that is pocketable is the Minolta f:2 version, but finding a good one at even a slightly sensible price is very hard.

The reason I am equivocating about this is that I did a web search, and came up with this:

DT 35mm F1.8 SAM | SAL35F18 | Sony EE
    https://www.sony.ee/electronics/camera-lenses/sal35f18
    DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Normal Lens (SAL35F18) Ideal for handheld shooting in low-light, this bright fixed focal length lens covers a range of uses: from portraits and landscapes to travel snapshots. Compatible with 35MM Full Frame , or APS-C format A-mount cameras.

Also, from Sony Asia:

DT 35mm F1.8 SAM | SAL35F18 | Sony Asia Pacific
    https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/camera-lenses/sal35f18
    DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Normal Lens (SAL35F18) Ideal for handheld shooting in low-light, this bright fixed focal length lens covers a range of uses: from portraits and landscapes to travel snapshots. Compatible with 35mm Full Frame , or APS-C format A-mount cameras.

I have seen some shots on E mount FF with this lens, with bad, but correctable, vignetting, but the EA1 adaptor has a very narrow throat, so that may be adding to it.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Both those pages say it's an APS format lens. Next to the claim "Compatible with 35MM Full Frame" there's a little number (1 or 2 according to page) which if you click on it opens a comment box saying "Images are recorded in APS-C format".

I would take this to mean that, as with Nikon DX lenses on an FX camera, the camera only records a cropped APS size frame - a handy cost saving feature if moving up to FF from APS but perhaps less desirable if you only have an FF camera.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks for finding that - it rather finishes the whole thing off, since I have also found out that the Menu/Tools menu 4/APSC capture/OFF does NOT turn it off when you fit a DT lens. I can only presume that this is for third-party APSC lenses that may not be recognized as such by the camera.

I have found a Minolta f/2 on eBay, but it is in Japan, so with shipping, import duty and VAT it comes to the far side of £500 - far too much for a 30+ year old lens.

For the time being I shall have to stick to my 24mm f/2.8 with a 1.4X TC - hardly ideal at f/4.