1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DSC-H400 Apature problems

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Simon Parkes, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Hi.

I have a Sony DSC-H400. Im trying to use my F stop values to blurr background objects but for some reason all of my F stop adjustments keep all the objects in focus.

Im trying to get the effect in the image ive attached.

Am i doing somthing wrong?

Im starting to question if my camera is actually capable of such a thing.

Thanks in advance guys.

Si.
    6390763aafb4b9593f63fa36618cb7f0.jpg

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Small sensors have a naturally larger depth of field for any given f-stop, compared to larger sensors at the same focal length.

One of the things that's hard to do with compacts and bridges, is to use depth of field artistically as a result.

Can you show us the results you're getting?

3. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
    I have uploaded 2 pics of either end of my cameras F stop values. (not the widest range i dont think) Now i have these on my computer i can see there is a slight difference. Not as much as i wanted. Is this the best my camera can do?
    1.jpg 1.jpg

4. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Image 2

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      784.9 KB
      Views:
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As Tony said you can't do the crayon shot with a bridge/compact unless you put the crayons a lot further apart. The huge success of digital compacts over their 35mm counterparts was that everything was in focus. Previously "waiting to see if the pictures came out" was the popular experience and "out of focus" stickers were commonly put on the prints by the processing labs.

Now the advanced compacts are beginning to get bigger sensors there is more control possible. If you go bigger - say 120 film with images 6x6 or 6x7 then getting things in focus becomes a lot more tricky.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

Yep, that's probably the extent of what you can get. Note also that you look like you're using a wide field of view here, which also increases the depth of field of a given aperture when compared to a narrow field of view.

So, to get the shallower depths of field you need,

1. wide apertures
    2. narrow fields of view
    3. bigger sensors

7. EightBitTony

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There was also an AP article on equivalent aperture for depth of field in either last week or week before edition.

9. Simon Parkes

Simon Parkes Member

Thanks so much for the help guys.

When you say i need a narrower field of veiw, do you mean the position of the camera brfore i even take the shot?

Thanks so much for your time again. Im going to read through the articles provided now.

Thanks

Si