1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony bringing out waterproof SD cards

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Max resist, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Max resist

Max resist Well-Known Member

The Awesomer is reporting Sony in the States are bringing out a waterproof
    SD card that can survive on its own underwater and other forms of storage abuse.
    To a depth of 30 feet or something.
    Underwater Basket Weaving Classes anybody?

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

So, even if your underwater housed fails and several thousand pounds of camera goes t!ts up, your 200 quid SD card will be OK?

Oh well, at least you won't lose your pictures...

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sometimes, the pictures are more valuable than the camera.

Cheers,

R.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Every now and then I leave a debit card in the breast pocket of a shirt on its way to the wash. DItto SD cards. They always seem to survive - I call it "Money laundering"

5. CMitch

CMitch Member

Don't know why water should be a problem with SD cards, so long as they are rinsed a few times with clean distilled water and dried well (a few hours in bag with silica gel). The only likely problem is trying to use one wet with impure water which could result in 'shorts' across internal conductors.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

There have been more than a few reports of cameras being recovered from the sea after considerable periods of time and, while the camera is totally dead, the SD cards in them have happily coughed up their pictures with remarkably little effort.

7. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Useful for taking selfies in the bath.......

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably your several thousands of pounds worth of underwater camera gear would be insured and and will be replaced without cost to yourself .
    You might have lost all the pictures on the card though and whether it's a holiday or a paid job your on , the pictures can't be replaced for free .
    To go back and start again cost's money .

Anyone that goes into a hostile environment like that might think £200 is well worth the peace of mind and insurance the card would give .

Like others , it's more than once I've had an SD card take a spin in the washing machine and come out fine with all data intact , but I wouldn't recommend it or use the card again .