1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Alpha SAL85F28 85mm f/2.8 A-mount

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jun 19, 2018.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Found it! I finally remembered where I put it! I took my Sigma 70-210mm out of its soft case, and put it in a sling bag, and put my Tamron 70-300mm USD with the 1.7 TC mounted on it into the Sigma case. Having just moved my man-cave from the 'annexe' (there's posh for you - it's actual the old stables) to the house, I can't find half my stuff!

The TC is definitely 8 pin, so thanks for that, but annoyingly it is not chipped, just pass-through. This helped with the Tamron, as the camera didn't know it was being lied to about the aperture, and as there is lots of light out here, it could focus. As an addendum, I hardly ever use the Tamron, despite it being optically excellent, as the zoom ring is at the front of the lens, where I far prefer to have it at the base of the lens. With all my other zooms I can rest the battery grip on the heel of my left hand and zoom with thumb and forefinger. Taking the hand away from the camera to reach the zoom ring is just asking for camera shake - or a lost shot. I use my cheaper Sony equivalent instead.

What I would really like is a chipped 1.4x with both 8 pins and screw drive, but can't find one. I have a five pin Sigma but it's a bit old and rattles! :eek:

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have that same 16mm lens in Rollei QBM fitting - think it's Voigtlander-branded. It's decent enough, too.

I do like fisheyes. I have them for 4 formats - Pentax Q, APS-C, 35mm/full frame, and 6x6 (a Russian 30mm one). My most used these days is the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye Zoom, which gives both circular and diagonal fisheye options on full frame (or film), and a 10mm diagonal option on APS-C. But easy to over-use. On the other hand, it does make me think more, which is never a bad thing. ;)

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Keep your eye open for a " Kenko 1.4x teleplus pro 300 , Mx-AF " , the white version .

This is a very good quality teleconverter that has both 8 pins and the screw drive connection .
    The Mx-AF designation is to indicate it is for a Minolta Dynax xi camera ( ie Dynax 9xi ) which needed the extra 3 pins to supply the power for the power zoom lens , but still auto focussed bu the screw driver connection . Manual focus also shared the power from the zoom motor to focus by wire rather than the usual direct way .

I have one of these I got off Ebay , they come up from time to time . Think I paid about £60 for it .
    Kenko have stopped making these in A mount though .

Another option is the "Kenko Mx-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ ".
    The "PRO" version is the better one , but this one gives a reasonably good performance too .
    I have one of these too that I keep with the film camera and lenses I tend to leave in my camper van .

This is also an 8 pin / screw drive version .
    When your looking for a teleconverter that does what you want it will have either Mx or Mxi on it .

And you might be in luck here ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Alp...951204?hash=item4b46a7d464:g:C1oAAOSwwTlbKPIJ starting bid £25 , no bidders , ends Tuesday . ( not mine)
    You might need to check if he'll send it to Cyprus though .
    If not have him send it to someone you know in the U.K and get them forward it on to you .

Also noticed that not all lenses fit on the Teleplus Pro one .
    Any lens with a rear profile sticking out a bit will not mount on it .
    eg my Minolta 100-300mm APO D will not fit , nor will a Sony 30mm Macro .
    A tamron 11-18mm fit's fine though .

If nothing sticks out further than the lens contacts pins at the back of the lens , it will fit .
    If it does , possibly not .
    All the lenses I have that I tend to use teleconverters with are mostly Minolta "G" tele's , so don't have this problem . Never noticed before as this is the first time I've tried putting a shorter or standard type zoom lens on it .

The one on ebay I linked to might suit you better .
    Only image stabilisation will be not as effective without the correct effective foclal length .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That camera bags starting to get heavier again ! :p

5. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks for that wealth of information. If I can find a Kenko Mx-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ I would be fairly happy to modify the circuit by inserting the chip from my Sigma 1.4x five pin, and leaving the two focus control lines free. I have done this sort of thing before - I bought a Sigma 75-200 f:2.8>3.5 which didn't work on my Dynax 7 so I modified the circuit board to fix it. Having had a quick look at my 1.7x SHQ it seems to be feasible, provided there is space between the two sets of pins for the circuit board. A tenth of a stop error is meaningless. I shall investigate tomorrow. I will contact the seller to see if he will sent me the TC by Royal Mail 'signed for'.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

Nah - I'll put it my pocket so I won't be carrying it. Er… wait a minute... :D

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

So how many pockets do you have , and how big are they ? ;)

8. SqueamishOssifrage

The Sony 85mm f:2.8 SAM turned up this morning. Having just now checked it out, it meets my requirements perfectly, and it is lighter than er… a very light thing. Slightly soft in the corners at f:2.8, much better at f:4, and fine by f:5.6. Same with corner shading. Start of diffraction showing at f:16 when viewing actual pixels (1:1). No observable CA.

The only disappointment is that my Teleplus 1.7 TC doesn't focus with it. It homes in fine when way out of focus, but never actually achieves focus, ricocheting from plus to minus several times a second, rather than hunting. It never locks on, but in manual focus the green light comes on to show focus has been achieved.

The answer (I hope!) is I have just grabbed a Kenko 1.4 x Teleplus MC4 DGX, which is no longer made, but I found a brand new one on eBay. The DGX version is chipped for Sony cameras, and shows correct focal length and aperture in EXIF.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

More or less what would be expected I suppose.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

Yes. in fact pretty much the same as my 24-70mm zoom, which makes it good value at this price-point.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Did you have the old Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2.8 in QBM fit? Always rather liked that as a small, light but fairly decent short tele.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

Yup - still got it somewhere, together with the 28mm f:2.8. Once I decided that this was the camera system I would keep, I got the f:1.4 version of the 85mm and the f:2.0 version of the 28mm. Tragedy struck my Rollei kit, though. I lost my 3003, those two (fast) lenses plus the 35mm f:1.4, the Voigtlaender 21mm, and Zeiss 135mm f:2.8 in a flood in my office - the bag was on the bottom shelf of a glass-fronted bookcase. (sobs quietly). I have one 2000 left and a Zeiss 50mm f:1.4 and Rollei 55mm f:1.4, together with the f:2.8s mentioned above. I also have an exquisite Voigtlaender 200mm f:3.5 - practically new, because I hardly ever used it. It was/is the sharpest, flattest 200mm I have ever used - and it can't be adapted to Minolta/Sony mount. (more sobbing). :D

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ouch.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

Well - that's plan A down the tubes. The Sigma Zen 18mm arrived, and mounted it on the camera and toddled off to check it out. The first time I put the camera to my eye I thought I had a very dirty viewfinder. Alas, 'twas haze in the lens - bad haze! This was rather sad, as externally the lens was in A+ condition. I took some comparison shots, matching the Zen against my Sigma 17-35mm set at 18mm. and sent them to the seller. and he instantly refunded me, and said not to bother returning the lens. After a semi strip-down, I established that the haze is inside the focus cell, and since stripping it down any further would require an optical bench to reassemble, it is now an ex parrot dead lens.

As this is the third lens of that era that I have had to consign to scrapheap for haze, and all the small, light ultra wide angles come from that era (in Sony/Minolta mount anyway), I shall give up that quest, and use the Sigma zoom as my walkabout wide angle. It is not quite as nice as my 15-30mm, but it is a devil of lot lighter.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I had a nice Minolta A 35mm f2 that suffered something similar, one element looked crazed, I stuck it on Ebay with the fault declared, the buyer was happy with it. I had a hazy element in a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO as well (apparently far from rare), that went the same way, I'm finished with hanging onto stuff I really don't want to keep.