1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Alpha 580 test - a lost opportunity?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Wheelu, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

As a Canon shooter I have only a marginal interest in what Sony is doing, but the use of an electronic viewfinder and the pellicle mirror is a genuinely interesting development. The advantages that this system brings are plain enough, but my curiosity centres around what compromises have been made to achieve them.

It would therefore have been most instructive to have compared the 580 and its non DSLR stablemate to see what, if any, deterioration in IQ and light transmission the new system involves. Putting the two cameras side by side, does the fixed mirror cause any significant light fall off, i.e. do you need to use a wider aperture or longer exposure? Does the insertion of another pair of refractive surfaces damage the image quality? If the answer is that there is no significant deterioration then this would, perhaps, signal the end of DSLRs as we currently know them.

Come on AP, let's do some meaningful tests!

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

With the a55 there's about 1/2 a stop light loss and no significant IQ loss compare with the a580. DPreview gave it its highest grade, Gold Star.

3. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Though it scored 76%, Seems anything that scores over 75% can get a gold award.

Quite an odd scoring method.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There have been 7 in the last 2 years.

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Odd to rate something gold with a score which is 24% off top mark. Gold to me would be a camera scoring at least 85-90%.