1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony a6000 Macro Lens advice

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by TC_vii, Jan 19, 2017.

1. TC_vii

TC_vii Member

Hi All

Interchangeable cameras and it's probably safe to say photography in general is still a huge learning curve for me.

I have a Sony a6000 and love the idea of having the freedom to play with different lenses and am interested in buying old - film era lenses as they're considerably more affordable and having to operate it manually will really help me learn.

What I'm really after is a macro lens that will allow me to take close ups of of insects, leaves, birds etc so from my understanding a good choice would be a macro lens in the 90-105mm region?

I have recently bought a PK to NEX adapter so I can play around with legacy Pentax lenses - in an ideal world I'd be interested in getting a great macro lens that would fit the p pk mount but I am more than happy to spend another £15-20 on an adapter to get a really great, affordable lens. I assume getting an adapter for Nikon or Canon mounts would be a great addition...

Any suggestions on lenses to consider would be hugely appreciated! I don't really want to £100+ as a rookie.

Thanks!
    Tom

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

this is a duplicate post

3. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Not having seen the other version I would respond that Tamron have long had a good reputation for quality but affordable macro lenses. From memory, I don't have one, their offering was a 90mm, and it came with their patent Adaptall mounting, meaning that it could, with appropriate Tamron adapters, fit a range of cameras. If you can get one with a Pentax mount it would fit your existing adapter, but Sony adapters are cheap and you could buy one to suit whatever fitting the Tamron came with. The alternative of buying an old adaptall fitting might be more expensive.

I use a mix of old Pentax, Olympus and Tamron lenses with my Sony NEX 6, they all outshine the standard 16-50 zoom.

If I could ask you a question, how do you find the viewfinder of the a6000 for manual focus? I was put off from buying because they cut the EVF resolution from the NEX standard when the a6000 came out, and this has just been restored with the a6300 and a6500 bodies, both very expensive.

4. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Why are you assuming an adapter for Canon or Nikon lenses would be a great addition, or that their lenses are really great versus great for K mount.

You find really great old lenses from Tokina (AtX Pro 90), Tamron (SP 90mm), Vivitar (Series 1 105mm) and Pentax.

Your budget is low. I'd double it then you'll have a really great lens that will serve you forever. It'll hold its value too.

However, an older Tamron Sp90 f2.5 52B is affordable - It has 1:2magnification though so better for larger subjects. It's a terrific lens.

Film era lenses might be prone to a little CA at wide apertures on digital, but it's not a big problem.

100mm is pretty short for photographing birds. 300mm minimum.