1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something New

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by SXH, May 24, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Just to keep the sub-forum moving, a picture of my latest elephant...
    07755ces.jpg

Why in Sony Chat? Well, I rather liked the results I got from my A200 and the lenses I got with/for it, so I thought I'd get a more up to date one, that took A-mount lenses, as I already have a couple. Which meant either a more up to date DSLR or a DSLT. Didn't fancy the former - fed up of mirror clunking noise - so thought I'd see what was available in the latter. Obviously can't afford one of the new ones, especially the FF models, so it was off to trawling the various used equipment sites. I ended up with an α58. Gets quite good reviews, has a 20MP sensor and only APS-C, so my lenses are OK with it. And being a DSLT, it has a weirdness factor that appeals to me! Apart from some faffing about with batteries - and, boy do they take an age to charge - I am well pleased with it so far.

So what would be more appropriate to photograph my new heffalump with than my new camera? That's almost the full frame - just a tiny crop ,cause I had to straighten it slightly - the 18-55mm kit lens focuses very close considering.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, a couple more test shots and a few thoughts...
    [​IMG]Salvation Army, Ashford by SteveH, on Flickr
    That's Ashford Middlesex, not Kent.
    [​IMG]Ashford Fire Station by SteveH, on Flickr
    For practising rescues with/on?
    [​IMG]Dead Ivy by SteveH, on Flickr

And the obligatory...
    [​IMG]Office Building Works Skip by SteveH, on Flickr

There are a few more test shots in the Flickr album they are in.

Anyway, the Alpha-58. I like it. It feels well made, even if it does have a plastic lens mount, fairly heavy but well balanced.

There seem to be plenty of lenses available, and they turn up used at reasonable prices. Including plenty of KM ones, the number of which probably annoys Pentax enthusiasts, who think only they have legacy lenses…

There's built-in distortion/ca/shading with most Sony "automatic compensation compliant lenses", which seems to be most of them. OK, it only works on JPG files, but SONY do software to apply same thing to raw files. Which makes me wonder about the validity of lens tests on sites like ePhotozine and such. Are the CA etc values they publish done without applying said corrections? Must find out. And do they (can they) turn it off for other makes, who presumably do something similar.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it varies but I can't say I read many tests. Since DXO started the trend it has become fairly standard to have lens profiles which can be in-camera or in-software. With Canon (my Canon anyway) it is a postprocessing step so I'd expect a lens test to reflect the uncorrected behaviour unless otherwise stated. With Fuji it is an in-camera step and I don't think it is possible to evaluate the lens from an image produced by a camera without corrections. The lens can still be placed on an optical bench I suppose if means of achieving aperture control and focus can be found, these being motor activated ths days.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Just a small, amusing (well, it made me smile) update.

I thought I'd check if there was a firmware update for this camera. There is only one - the camera wasn't around all that long. What does it do? Well...
    I can probably live without it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

doesn't that stand for Higher international neutral density integration....

SqueamishOssifrage and SXH like this.
  6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Sony has a habit of slipping in other things in their firmware updates than just what they state it does .
    They might have added some corrections for bugs or minor improvements , that they don't mention .
    Wouldn't do you any harm to update it anyway even if you can cope without a Hindi menu .