1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Normal access will be restored as soon as is possible.
    Dismiss Notice

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

On someone's doorstep in Edinburgh . . . . . :(

DSC7947.jpg

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Had a wander around an old closed down restaurant today (the one in the tree competition). Not much in it other than some old wine bottles in what looks like would have been the old wine cellar.

There was evidence however that at some point that the building was also probably used for growing cannabis.

[​IMG]decay wine by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]decay wine2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Just a garden chair by SteveH, on Flickr

No, I don't know why it appeals to me either. It's just a chair, in the garden, with a string/clothes-peg attaching it to the fence...

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Lovely on the Water:

Light-on-the-wate-webr.jpg

With apologies to Frankie Armstrong.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Strange what you find on Google Streetview . . . . I was looking for a building I photographed in Paris last year and was just 'wandering down the rue' when I found this!

Rue des Francs-Bourgeois.jpg

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Took a walk through Shoreditch and found this guy in action. I have seen his speeding cars in other places, but never found him at work. His mate had a Canon securely taped down doing time-lapse as it developed.

[​IMG]Quick Spray by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]Quick Spray 2 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Was fascinating watching him work from a small design in his left hand.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

181105-Helesnburgh-010.jpg

Firework display. Or what's left of it.

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Sort of makes our worries about getting the composition right and clicking a button pale into insignificance somehow, doesn't it?

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Exactly! :)

previously on Hanbury Street, just off Brick Lane . . . .

DSC0391 Hanbury Street.jpg

11. RovingMike

Did for me. I stood there in awe.

12. RovingMike

This got my attention too:

[​IMG]

AlanW, El_Sid and EightBitTony like this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

P9831ces.jpg
    Another weird one. Taken by accident when turning on the camera - very bad light, a slightly dirty window and involuntary camera shake (I know Intentional is trendy at the moment!) gave me a picture that has strange appeal. To me, at least!

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I saw this tonight and had to take a picture. Mather & Platt in Manchester was less than a mile from where I grew up, my gran worked there as a spot-welder during the war and even up to five or so years ago, you could still see where the main wall of the factory had been painted to look like rows of houses to throw off the German bombers.

[​IMG]Mather & Platt by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

15. RovingMike

Interesting. But I believe the Germans were using crossed beams to find targets, so paintwork might have been more for morale. Nice relic though.

16. Fishboy

Fair comment Mike - although my impression was a little different! If you read this page it says that once we managed to block Y-Gerat, the Germans stopped using crossed beams - and as far as I can make out, that was in late 1941.

Cheers, Jeff

RogerMac likes this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I don't think they were blocked so much as mis-directed out to sea.

S

18. Fishboy

Here's something else I found interesting last night. A friend of mine is setting up a photographic studio in a unit he's renting on the second floor of an old mill. There's a freight lift that goes up to his floor - and it's huge. He's been told that the chap who used to have the unit next to his used to bring his car up to the second floor to work on it!

[​IMG]Lift by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

ap lamp post pink labels.jpg Nearby lamp post this morning. On the school route (and up to the football field).
    A bit unusual for this Island!

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

People used to be thinner. I make it that an average of 11 stone breaks the lift.

Note to self: must lose 3 stone

Catriona likes this.