1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And they still love their fax machines too...

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As does the Observer - you can still enter the Everyman Crossword comp by fax! :eek:;)

3. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Sound business reasons for keeping both. Pagers are not affected by the tech used to stop X-rays leaking to areas of hospitals where they are not needed, and so are more reliable in some situations than mobiles. Mobiles are, in any case, prohibited in large areas of hospitals.

As for the fax, I can't recall the exact details but they have a higher status legally than e-mails.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Turned up at Chipstead FC yesterday in rain, mud, cold etc to see them play FC Romania in FA Trophy. Interested to see this sign, so returned my knuckle dusters, bog rolls, broken bottle and zombie knives to the boot of the car.

[​IMG]Chipstead FC by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

El_Sid likes this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

We have similar signs at the rugby club. I coached mini & junior rugby for many years and have enough stories about the antics of spectators and coaches to write a book. The worst has to be when I was refereeing a primary school tag rugby tournament. I ended up evicting the headteacher of one school from the side lines.

RovingMike likes this.
  6. RovingMike

Yes, I've seen fights between parents.:)

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

30592cess.jpg
    They have disabled mooring posts on the Thames in Staines. And judging by the corrosion, have had for some time.

It's upside down because the murky grey at the top is the Thames and
    a) I can't swim
    b) it looks wrong if you rotate the pic.​

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

It's a man in a coracle :)

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Don't see all that many coracles in Staines.

Mind you, their seem to be a lot of outrigger canoes about these days. Wonder why that is.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And today...
    [​IMG]
    A Collapsible Skip!
    by SteveH, on Flickr

OK, so it's really just a big rubbish bag, but it can take 1.5 tonnes and it does say "Use it like a skip" on the side.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I wonder what lifts it up?

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Presumably the company that provides it has a truck with a small crane on it - like those that deliver pallets of breeze-blocks and so on?

Ah yes, according to the Hippobags page...
    hippo.jpg
    They cost about £250 including collection and you have six months to fill them. They also collect when you are out, "unless you want to take the day off to watch!" :)

Catriona likes this.
  13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

£250 !!!!!

I got a medium sized skip in 2016. No where near as expensive as that and they managed to collect it when I was out too. Who needs six months anyway?

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Everyone else on the street?

Gezza and dream_police like this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nah, they just need one dark night... ;)

ETA: Oh, and on the subject of machinery, something for any agricultural posters who want to finish work early...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Catriona likes this.
  16. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Discovered this yesterday on my way to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, 'Nail House' by Leonard van Munster . . . . .

DSC1139 House.jpg

Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Average Skip Hire Prices
    8 November 2019
    RANDOM RUBBISH

Every year we survey over 500 skip hire companies across the UK – not just the ones in the AnyJunk network – to see what they charge consumers for a skip. From this, we produce average skip hire prices for cities in the UK. These rates are shown below for 6 cubic yard and 8 cubic yard skips – the two most common skip sizes – and commonly referred to as a ‘Builders skip’. Rates include VAT but exclude the cost of a skip permit or parking bay suspension. They are for general mixed waste.

UK Skip Hire Prices 2019 (average rates of local suppliers)
    Location 6-yard skip 8-yard skip
    UK Average £226 £253
    Birmingham £195 £220
    Bournemouth £267 £328
    Brighton £232 £276
    Bristol £240 £273
    Bromley £240 £280
    Cambridge £201 £234
    Cardiff £238 £247
    Chelmsford £219 £249
    Chester £232
    Croydon £267 £313
    Doncaster £186 £238
    Edinburgh £175 £221
    Exeter £267 £319
    Glasgow £204 £207
    Gloucester £235 £272
    Hemel Hempstead £231 £275
    Ipswich £217 £249
    Iver £249 £294
    Leeds £168 £227
    Leicester £209 £231
    Liverpool £203
    London £258 £283
    Luton £268 £288
    Manchester £199 £227
    Middlesbrough £230 £241
    Milton Keynes £241 £267
    Newcastle £227 £259
    Northampton £175 £205
    Norwich £205 £229
    Nottingham £188 £236
    Oxford £250 £295
    Portsmouth £249 £296
    Reading £239 £292
    Sheffield £188 £226
    Southampton £282 £337
    Swindon £250 £308
    Tunbridge Wells £241 £290
    York £179 £223

Note: prices include VAT @ 20% but exclude skip permit fee & parking suspensions if on road. Source: AnyJunk Updated 8 November 2019

The above table tells us that the average skip hire price across the UK is £226 for a 6-yard skip and £253 for an 8-yard skip. Based on our analysis, the cheapest cities to hire a skip appear to be Leeds, Edinburgh, Northampton and York. Unsurprisingly, London is at the other end of the scale and is more than 10% more expensive than the national average. The most expensive cities in the country are Bournemouth, Luton, Southampton, and Exeter (and also Croydon town, which isn’t a city, but seems to have crept in!).
    Man & Van is cheaper
    In most regions skip hire is more expensive than man & van rubbish removal. To check live prices for both skip hire and man & van clearance in your region click here.

18. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I designed the river wall at Staines some years ago. It seems to have held.

19. RovingMike

Remarkable geological formation that hill. I can only assume of glacial origin? ;)

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's interesting - I always thought a standard skip was 7 cubic yards and the main denominator in hiring one (admittedly not for very many years) was whether one end would open so that you could fill a lot of it without running a plank up.