1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The strap says Mamiya

S

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Could be a 6x7 with prism finder then. A quick look suggests only the automatic winder as a right hand grip option. Pretty heavy to hand hold.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Didn't Kate Bush sing about Heathcliffe's Mamiya?

Adrian

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

On another tack. At the Shrewsbury Steam Fair yesterday I was not surprised to find that some enthusiasts go in for military vehicles as do others cars, tractors etc. and I've seen the odd decommissioned tank or two in my travels but I've never before seen someone with a field gun. They must have a big garage.

[​IMG]274A0438.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Home rule for Railway Cuttings in East Cheam!

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It helps to keep cats out of the flowerbeds

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Exeter's Paris Street is showing some signs of life after several years of "will they or won't they knock down the Eastern side to build a new shopping centre". (They seem to have decided they won't.) This wood statue of a stag has been placed on the pavement by one of the shops still hanging on despite the blight...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1230802.JPG

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. gray1720

This pair of paddocks in a bigger field have intrigued me for years. Partly it's the strange triangular subdivision and partly it's the way the fences all cross the ridge and furrow, so are up and down like an Essex boy's bottom.

Adrian

upload_2019-9-4_21-51-51.jpeg

saxacat likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Today is the start Chuseok (Korean thanksgiving) and my daughter sent me this picture from a Seoul supermarket. Yup, that's Spam gift hampers.

69815868_126679642006040_6862686431324667904_o.jpg

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Never heard of Army Base Stew - invented after the Korean War, to use scrounged food?

We had a Korean restaurant locally that did Army Base Stew. And included Spam in the recipe shown on the menu.

11. gray1720

Bloody Vikings!

12. Andrew Flannigan

Seeing this bunch of Exeter city maintenance men today made me think about how many things we take for granted. Our civilisation is so connected, so complicated and relies on so many people doing so many things and yet we make the greatest fuss about the least important people. Here are the people that are important: the "little people"...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1230848.JPG

El_Sid and steveandthedogs like this.
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I
    What did the Vikings ever do for us?

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

El_Sid, RovingMike, saxacat and 2 others like this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yup! The beginning of the end.

dream_police and Dan S like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Although Exeter's timber framed houses are quite well known this oddity in Heavitree Road is less so. It's been there for as long as I can remember though you can only get a good view of it from the top deck of a bus. The supports for the upper floor in particular are pretty unusual in my experience...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1230908.JPG

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Probably as patronising a statement as I've ever read.....

Gezza likes this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You haven't been listening for the last 5 years then!
    That's a nonsense response.
    Andrew was merely playing with current descriptions of 'the people'. You know, the 52% of voters who voted leave?
    I certainly would classify myself as one of the 'little people' at present. The unseen and unappreciated.
    Andrew? When I see my lot, I thank them - the bin men, the street cleaners, the shelf fillers, the bus drivers etc etc. The ones who make life tolerable.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Definitely not in tune with that if they are supposed to be leave voters. Missed something along the line.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Exactly the point I was striving to make. These are the people who keep our civilisation alive. To give a few more examples: everyone in the NHS, junior civil servants, the people who work in caffs, the mechanics and the railway staff. The list goes on and on.

Not on that list are the overpaid time wasters who think they're more important than others. They're the ones we can most easily do without.

Catriona likes this.