1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But you do need a decent microscope....:D:rolleyes:

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. One of those A4 size Fresnel lenses might do for most purposes... ;)

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

In the last couple of weeks I've had this gull visiting the bird bath 3 r 4 times a day for a drink, it dwarfs allthe other birds that visit, ranging from wrens and robins to magpies and pigeons, not sure if it's a common or herring, the bird bath diameter is agbout 45cm but as it's not quite full side on view it's difficult to judge the length, common are 40-42cm, herring 54-60cm.

Gull1.jpg

Catriona and daft_biker like this.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Found deep in some woods...

PSX_20190713_155502.jpg

...any ideas what they are for? Dotted around these and other woods are upturned green window boxes cut in half and marked with brightly coloured flags. I'm guessing they are part of some sort of survey but not sure what for.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Herring gull. It has red mark on the lower mandible.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

After retirement, I have returned to model railways after a gap of over 30 years. Like photography it has 'gone digital' and large areas of the hobby are now populated by PC nerds to see the layout and its running stock as a PC peripheral, and like photography many of these people have to have the latest and most expensive models for which they regularly part-exchange decent used stuff. So, like photography, if you are happy with something a few years old but in good condition, there is now a low of it about. And, again like photography, internet selling has revolutionised the way such stuff is sold.

This is the website of the UK's largest such retailer, and I recommend them highly (and have no interest beyond being a satisfied customer). www.hattons.co.uk/?utm_source=UKModelShops&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=UKMSBanner

I dabbled briefly with N scale (1:148) , but the stuff is so small and the fine detail so fragile, that I gave up and went for a small OO scale (1:76) layout instead. I can't fit much on a 183 x 40 cm baseboard (all I can find space for), but this helps the cost too. It remains work in progress, and I've stuck with the old 'analogue' 12 volt DC system because much of the best-value used stuff works with this standard. Again, the rush to 'go digital' has dumped lots of nice older stuff on the secondhand market.

And finally, most of the stuff is made in China now (including Hornby) . Hopefully Mr Trump won't do anything to make it even more expensive that it already is.

SXH likes this.
  7. Dorset_Mike

Thanks Pete, I thought it probably was due to the size. It gets quite curious at times, struts across the grass onto the patio and tries to stick its beak through the patio door

8. Dorset_Mike

I've been modelling N gauge for 45 years, agree it has got a bit expensive especially if you must have the latest stuff including computer control and sound, nothing drives one up the wall quicker at a model railway exhibition to have a sound nutter on the next stand, how they expect to get realistic sounds from a speaker less than an inch across.

I tend to stick with mostly older locos or build kits, also buy mostly Ebay or other second hand sources, had some good bargains over the years, like a German loco listed as a "non runner" got it for £25, price new is around £180+, fault was a blown bulb which was a dead short across the power, removed bulb ran fine.

SXH likes this.
  9. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Here's something they found interesting

[​IMG]DSC02567 by Dan, on Flickr

10. PeteRob

I wouldn't trust a mute swan that close, or get between it and water.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It’ll break your arm

12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

It looks more precarious than it was, there was sand the other side and you just tell kids anything! let alone that they will break your arm, but not before first putting you in a full Nelson :)

13. PeteRob

Still, for the future. They may become habituated where people feed the ducks but, however cute, they can be aggressive and are capable of doing an adult human significant harm. If spooked, e.g. by a dog, they'll go straight to water and move incredibly fast when they want to.

Dan S likes this.
  14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete, Ill bare that in mind. They wander up and down that part of the river bank looking for humans to feed them. The two children were watching one of the other swans stopping the traffic.

15. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

If you ever find out, I'd be interested to know. We're you tempted to stand in the middle?

daft_biker likes this.
  16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

We got fed up of people using our carpark, so we've arranged parking control. Which entails lots of official signs about who is allowed to park and who isn't. And this one:
    30444cess.jpg
    which I suspect may not be totally official... ;)

daft_biker likes this.
  17. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

passed this on my way into town a few days ago . . . . . :(

DSC0150 notice.jpg

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

We've found with our local swans that one parent will come right up to you and practically mug your pockets for food. It's the other one at the back of the brood you worry about, they are the ones on protection squad duty, and if you get near that one, you may well find out about the arm thing.

Adrian

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

On my way back from the hospital this morning (just a blood-test), I saw this weird memorial in the Scott Freeman Garden, Ashford (a biggish area of grass with a few trees):
    [​IMG]Diana Memorial by SteveH, on Flickr
    Sneaky way of getting Diana into their 50th anniversary. Or vice versa!

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Do you know which happened first Paris or the 50th anniversary?