1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Looks like the poor souls are working themselves into an early grave!

Cheers, Jeff

Geren and AlanW like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Whereabouts in the Cowgate is that? (I used to live in a flat at the very bottom of St Mary's St and my route to college/work/Sneaky Pete's meant a lot of time spent in the Cowgate. Mostly at ungodly hours and only occasionally being mistaken for the kind of person who might have a pimp!)

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Further along towards the Grassmarket, it's been a gap site for many years just at the back of the Central Library and behind Victoria Street. They've found a lot of cow bones and horns there which makes them think there was a butcher or abattoir there at some time, hardly surprising given it's called the Cowgate!

Geren likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Danger? by SteveH, on Flickr

Do you think they are trying to tell us something? :eek:;)

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Here you go Kath, the dig is actually very close to Sneaky Pete's, I strolled along again this afternoon just to see, it's right where the white van is parked on the right after you go under George IV Bridge :)

DSC6468 Sneaky Pete's.jpg

The dig is where the tenements are in this picture taken in the early 1900's, I think they were demolished in the 20's or 30's

Cowgate at the Central Library 1890's.jpg

Re. pimp! Yes, I'd forgotten, there used to be a sauna behind Sneaky Pete's near the back door to the courthouse! :(

EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  6. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

7. alfbranch

Geren, EightBitTony, Mark101 and 2 others like this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I'm always partial to a ghost sign . . .

DSC6383 Ghost Sign.jpg

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And why this one has my initials cut into the side... :confused:
    [​IMG]Ratty Skip 2 by SteveH, on Flickr

11. alfbranch

Geren, EightBitTony and dream_police like this.
  12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

This is an example of what you might call 'post hoc interest'. I was going through a pile of pics I took this afternoon (my calves are still aching from the walk!) and noticed this one. Apart from the fact that the section of path I was on is in fact a bridge, I had to look twice...
    [​IMG]Sign by SteveH, on Flickr
    No, I did not notice the piece of grass when I took the picture. Or, at least, the effect it appears to have on the name of the bridge owner...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  13. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Spotted this from the the other side of the street, well it was hard to miss!

DSC7441a.jpg

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My wife always looks right and left, but I look upwards too...

This so old that it was taken before I started using RAW: it is the straight-from-the-camera JPG resized for the website (no adjustment made to levels, contrast, etc.).

Sigma 10-20 mm at 10 mm, exposure from hand held incident light meter, camera placed on the granite floor of Padua cathedral (and using the patterns thereon to align it), self timer used as I quickly got out of the shot. All much to the amusement of a priest who had politely said 'no flash', and when he saw what I was trying to do he helpfully held back a school party for the few seconds I needed.

IMGP3593 1000.jpg

15. dream_police

Not so much interesting, but despite being familiar with this brand of bread for years now, it's name still makes me laugh.

Taken on the road heading down through Spain a couple of days ago.

IMG_6040edit.jpg

Geren, EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hahaha! :)

17. dream_police

The weather today in my part of spain has been quite poor with lots of rain. Looks like tomorrow may be good.

I know sunsets are common, but they are hard to resist. This is OOC (RAW to JPG conversion only) from my roof terrace only a short while ago. I didn't have time to wander off to take a better shot.

sunset.jpg

EightBitTony, Craig20264 and Catriona like this.
  18. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Can't believe I've never seen this before, only just discovered it in Braid Road, Morningside! The stones in the road mark where the gallows stood for the hanging of Thomas Kelly and Henry O'Neill, the last two highwaymen to be publicly executed in Scotland in 1815.

DSC7764 Highway Robbery.jpg

DSC7761 Highway Robbery.jpg

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

EightBitTony likes this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sort of interesting. The greenhouses in the gardens of the royal palace just outside Brussels are open to the public once a year in the springtime. It is a popular event if rather a one-way line-walk as you follow a strict path through the glass-houses. This caught my eye and I was a bit astonished because it is all fairly formal. I'm using Flickr to resize as it dates (2012) to a time when I posted things full scale.

[​IMG]Serres Royales _13 by Pete, on Flickr

Geren and EightBitTony like this.