1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

By goodness you have quick reflexes - they don't hang about, getting a shot of a stoat in full flight-mode is amazing.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So it’s not a squirrel then?

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

We had a black lab many years ago in the days when you would let them out for a wee, a neighbour saw him one day having his way with a dachsund, in order to overcome the height difference the dachsund was stood on the kerb and the lab had his hind legs in the road. From what we heard later the dachsund did have a somewhat difficult birth.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Its weaselly recognised, it's stoatally different

dream_police likes this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

6. PeteRob

No, it's not. They don't much like open ground but the last two sightings I had were at Conwy RSPB, each time the stoat was calmly walking down the middle of the pathway until it spotted me. More usually you see a blur as they cross ahead of you, which makes the body appear even more elongated than it is. Fantastic shot by Andrew.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Sorry, forgot the smilie. I was being daft in reply to Andrews title of it. I do actually know it wasn't a squirrel.:)

8. PeteRob

I thought it unlikely you were serious but I was taught to always treat sarcasm as if it were the literal truth.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Or just lucky it bounced about in front of me when my camera was switched on, lens cap off, and ready to photograph dogs running about!:)

I've also been shooting a lot lately.....

samgate.jpg

graciecatch.jpg

bravoleapinglog.jpg

....just a few from yesterday:D.

contax wide boy and Dan S like this.
  10. PeteRob

Practice makes perfect! I went out yesterday birding for the first time in what seems like ages and I think every shot is going to end up in the bin.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, my macros are a bit like that these days although I'm working on those too to fit in extra walks to build fitness for (hopefully) full time dog walking and action photography.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Intriguing - I've only ever seen them do it into a tidy headwind.

Adrian

13. PeteRob

Here is something you don't see everyday - a spoonbill sitting in a heronry at Burton Mere Wetlands, Wirral. Presumably joining the herons and little egrets in nesting. It showed no sign of moving and I missed a flight shot of another heading toward the trees. For the last few years there have been visiting birds, in my mind winter visitors, but it will be amazing if they breed.

The full frame taken with a 500 mm lens - more or less what you see through a set of 8x bins - it was a long way away.

[​IMG]BV9R4043.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

and a couple of cropped shots. I must go back with a teleconverter and tripod on a less windy day. The intervening trees were waving around a lot and getting in the way

[​IMG]BV9R4042.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

This one is somewhat blown but shows the bill against the feathers. I didn't get a shot this time of the crest raised which it did if a grey heron got too close.

[​IMG]BV9R4184.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

And this shows the bill to good effect.

[​IMG]BV9R4198.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

30342ces.jpg
    I'd be interested if anyone has seen a site safety sign with more items...

Or is there a legal limit to how many you can put on one sign?

Dan S likes this.
  15. PeteRob

It is missing signs for eye and hearing protection. Why should safety advice be limited ?

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Readability?

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I don't know how many there are but there's quite a few outside the oil depot next to Tesco in town!
    These are a couple of my favourites though.
    4343907853_2cb6f9588d_z.jpg 4754869056_a1604cd5d6_z.jpg

18. PeteRob

Seems readable to me. If you mean instead "too much information" then arguably they should split public information (keep out!) from working information, but anyone working on a site should be safety inducted whereafter notices are essentially reinforcement rather than primary information.

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Something I find interesting in my garden. Mahonia japonica seed pods.
    ap mahonia japonica seeds 2.jpg

SXH and daft_biker like this.
  20. PeteRob

We have the most straggly specimen of that in our garden. I have no idea how to prune it to make it grow into a bush. The wood is an amazing yellow colour and the flowers a delight. The blackbirds particularly like the berries.

Catriona likes this.