1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Explains the drill then, the old 'bash it in' method probably is not the best one to use that close to an old cathedral....

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

30186cess.jpg
    Common Wasp going for a walk

Not the first time I've seen this - an apparently healthy wasp walking along the pavement. Why?

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It reminds of this that my sister sent me.

914C36C4-DAA3-4E1E-A687-D0F538163AA5.jpeg

beatnik69, RovingMike, AlanW and 2 others like this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

It's responsible enough not to 'jaywalk'? ;)

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's still cold. It's warming up.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I expect so too.

To check get your ear close and listen for them vibrating their flight muscles to warm them up. Big beasties like dragonflies sound a bit like helicopters and wee hoverflies like very excited electric motors! It's a rare treat when it is quiet enough to hear stuff like that though.

Catriona likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Solar Loo by SteveH, on Flickr

A solar powered loo - for the lighting, hot water and hand drier.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I found these sheep interesting this morning - and it looks like they found me interesting too!

[​IMG]Sheep by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

Geren, daft_biker, RovingMike and 3 others like this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A picture from last month...
    30139cess.jpg
    A couple of knackered tuktuks (or auto rickshaws, if you'd prefer) parked by a pub in Staines.

AlanW likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is the Anchor Inn at Sidmouth which does a very tasty and affordable ham, egg & chips. I took a record shot with my Panasonic G2/Samyang 7.5mm combo not realising I'd switched the mode to B/W (it's dim in there). I think the monochrome is better than I get from converting a colour JPEG so I'll experiment more with this mode...

Panasonic G2 8GB 11 P1210550.JPG

11. peterba

I agree - I was using a G1 in around 2010/11, and I found the Panasonic mono jpeg output to be very decent.

I think Panasonic called it "Dynamic B&W". (I'm sure you'll put me right, if that's not correct. ;))

12. peterba

@Fishboy I reckon, Jeff, that they were observing you, and wondering why this bloke photographing them is using a 50mm, when it's obvious that he should be using an 85mm for portrait work. ;) :D

Fishboy and steveandthedogs like this.
  13. Fishboy

This is another picture taken on the same day as the sheep. At the top of the valley, up past Cowm Reservoir, there's an old cart track which has survived the years fairly well. On the day I took the picture I wrote this one off as being unusable, but I decided to have another dabble at it this afternoon and have ended up with something that makes the old track surface into the feature of the picture - well, at least that's what I was trying to do...

[​IMG]Cart Track by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Looks in better nick than the 2 year old council resurfacing in our village.

15. Fishboy

There are a few similar tracks up on the moors above my house - flat stones along the sides so that the cartwheels can turn smoothly and cobbles along the middle to give the horses' hooves some grip.

I suppose I'm lucky that I fall under Rossendale Council rather than Rochdale though, because some years ago general erosion on a small side road revealed a surface of wooden setts beneath the more recent surface (from back when the building next to the road was an infirmary - the wooden setts muffled the noise of horses hooves) so, in September 2016, Rochdale Council lifted the wooden setts for 'conservation' and poured tarmac in the resulting hole. In an interview with the local paper at the time a Council drone said that the setts were being taken away for "about a week" and would be returned to their original position - they're still not back!

Cheers, Jeff

16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If they were elm, they would last longer than the tarmac.

S

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  17. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Doll Hitching a lift
    Found this a few years ago on a the back of a tip truck on a building site
    Taken on my old Canon D40 and 18-55 f2.8 lens.

fwg290-13-02-08web.jpg

AlanW and dream_police like this.
  18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

True as long as they are kept wet. Digging them up probably let them dry out, and rot set in.

19. Fishboy

The only comment I can find about the material the wooden setts are made of is that they are believed to be made of 'expensive hardwood'.

There you go, that narrows it down a bit!

Cheers, Jeff

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

True, although they could probably suffer two or three cycles.
    Shame about the elms. Looks like the ash is going the same way.

S