1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somebody help me!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Larry Shone, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

I think the "PC" in PC World stands for Pretty Crap

[​IMG]FRIPN

2. Larry Shone

been there,done that, doesnt work.

[​IMG]FRIPN

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

.........maybe it's a Leica PC? /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

4. Larry Shone

oh god i hope not! 'John, get it out, its got a red dot on it! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif'

[​IMG]FRIPN

5. neilford

neilford Well-Known Member

Nope, the list only lists devices that there are drivers already installed for, so no driver, no listing.

Now most modern devices include identification circuitry, so when they are queried by the PC, they can tell it what they are. So it's possible for a PC to have been told what a device (had the ID information passed to it) but not to actually know about it (have device drivers installed).

As to why the drivers from Canon's website don't install properly, that's a mystery. I suspect with a couple of hours in front of the machine I could probably work it out, but your mate is going to want to pay me 350quid to sort his scanner out :) Much cheaper to get it replaced with a certified USB device.

- Neil.

6. Happy Hens

Happy Hens Well-Known Member

Get him to donate his scanner to a museum, Larry. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    Or he could chuck it on a bonfire tonight and buy himself a USB one.

Billy <font color=red>FRIPN</font color=red>

7. Larry Shone

no way, I'll just swap him for our old Colorado scanner cos i bet i could get his Canon working on this machine!

[​IMG]FRIPN

8. Happy Hens

Happy Hens Well-Known Member

You will swap him your Colorado scanner for his Canon, where on the XP scanner list does it say Colorado? I've never heard of it./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Billy <font color=red>FRIPN</font color=red>

9. Larry Shone

quite common, also called Umax

[​IMG]FRIPN

10. Larry Shone

Re: Somebody help me!/ I'll try this

Ive decided I'm gonna try plugging the parallel cable of the scanner into the back of the printer, boot up and see if it auto detects the scanner, if not its going in the bin!

[​IMG]FRIPN

11. neilford

Larry

If the printer is connected via USB then this won't work. You can only bridge parallel over USB with a special converter that includes the relevent electronics to do this. Printers don't contain such facilities. The USB and parallel interfaces on a printer are completely seperate, this is why it's possible to plug a printer into one machine via parallel and another via USB and have it work.

- Neil.
    http://www.smudgypixels.net/neil/photos

12. Larry Shone

Well it wasnt possible anyway as the printer doesnt have a palllallelel port!
    So Im afraid the scanner has to go back.
    Something else weird about the machine, cant change the desktop pic, no matter which method i try it always reverts to the bloody I-Friend logo upon reboot.Damn nuisance thing.

[​IMG]FRIPN

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have to say it doesn't look like the scanner's worth the effort. Also, I've got no problem changing the desktop pic on my PC with Xp - in fact, I've got different ones set up for each user. So maybe I-Friend have "tailored" Xp a little enthusiastically?

Nick BSRIPN

14. Larry Shone

Its odd I tell you, Ive never had problems doing that. But with this thing you change the theme completely, or just the pic, reboot and the pic you chose appears then is replaced by I-friend logo. Also I notice when making changes to appearance and you click apply the colours fade slowly to black and white before the change takes effect! Weird!

[​IMG]FRIPN

15. neilford

The black and white fade is a feature of XP, it does it when you log off / shutdown / restart too.

As to the desktop picture, might be worth checking if Active Desktop is enabled as this can overwrite such changes.

- Neil.
    http://www.smudgypixels.net/neil/photos

16. Larry Shone

Yea i thought of active desktop but on XP i cant find how to check it! Its not in desktop properties>settings so i dont know.

[​IMG]FRIPN

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In display properties>settings>desktop, click on "customise desktop" and then "web", and ensure that both boxes aren't checked. That may help.

Nick BSRIPN

18. Larry Shone

How can i make his PC recognise Canon?
    by buying a USB scanner thats how!

[​IMG]FRIPN

19. Larry Shone

doesnt work on his PC nick, had to dio it the hard way! See my post in the lounge

[​IMG]FRIPN

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah. Sorry, read that post first, so re-posted the idea. Still, at least you've fixed the bloody scanner! And USB is quicker than parallel, anyway.

Nick BSRIPN