1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somebody help me!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Larry Shone, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

if XP is the future then give me the past anytime!

[​IMG]FRIPN

2. Larry Shone

thanks for all your help anyway, looks like he'll have to take the scanner back and ask for a replcement, but that still leaves the problem of XP not recognising Canon!

[​IMG]FRIPN

3. neilford

neilford Well-Known Member

In which case he should take it back and get one that is certified to work with XP. Parallel port devices are definitely very old tech, so whilst it's been purchased recently, I'd say it was very old stock.

- Neil.

4. neilford

neilford Well-Known Member

XP does recognise Canon! It just didn't ship with any drivers built in. The probable cause for that was that Canon didn't have any ready when Microsoft wanted to ship. The same was true for a lot of manufacturers.

You only need to look at Canon's website to see how much they have caught up.

- Neil.

5. Happy Hens

Happy Hens Well-Known Member

If he bought it in Dixons then say no more. nudge nudge wink wink.
    Dixons were on BBC Watchdog a while back for selling stuff as new and in fact it had been alleged that it was pre owned and with Neil saying that the scanner is possibly old stock....

Billy <font color=red>FRIPN</font color=red>

6. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Is the scanner listed in the Scanners and Cameras in Control Panel? If not go through the routine of add a scanner. Mine didn't work fully until it was listed in this section. START>CONTROL PANEL>SCANNERS AND CAMERAS>ADD DEVICE

Johnmac

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I think there are still a few parallel port scanners being marketed (Argos currently have one in their catalogue AND it's a Canon!). Probably for the few people that are still using old steam powered PC's without USB ports. Ironically, like with EDO RAM, it actually costs more than the modern equivalent one! Old legacy devices like that are getting scarcer though and the choice of models is very limited.

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

8. Happy Hens

larry, to let you know how old parallel port stuff is I had a parallel port dot matrix printer for my Amstrad PCW 8256/8512 and later on my Amstrad Notepad (R.I.P.).

Oh and by the way Freeserve Anytime has buggered up tonight as it dials up and the line is as dead as a Canon parallel scanner on a computer running XP./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif So I am using the PAYG and it works but is costing money and I had better go before Carolyn realises it is on the phone bill.

9. BigWill

.....well it ain't buggered up in Northern Ireland Billy cause I'm currently talking to you on Freeserve Anytime. Quick, turn the screen off and look casual, I think Carolyn has just come into the room! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Anytime, any place, anywhere!)Will

10. Happy Hens

Well BW it is definately knackered over here, it is on their automated service status and has been reported as other faults also.

By the way, Carolyns brother who lives in some place in south Wales has recently bought a computer from PC World, and it is a fancy thing of 1.7Ghz with XP. Anyway he has a problem with it, when the telephone rings in his house the computer switches itself on each time, haa haa.
    We got nothing but bother from our old computer bought from PC World 2 years ago compared to the one we got for a third of the price paid then this time from a company called Campus.
    He took it to PC World and they reconned it was a BIOS problem anyway he left it all day and kept going back for it and they still hadnt fixed it so he took it with him and is getting someone to come out and fix the bloody thing.
    That is an interesting thing, just phone up your house phone from your mobile to switch on your computer without even going into the same room as it, or even switch it on from your car./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

11. BigWill

I think the "PC" in PC World stands for "Probably Can't" which is what they say when you ask them to fix your PC for you! Their aftersales service is notoriously bad and it's a case of as soon as they get you out the door with your shiny new PC it's "tough titty" if anything goes wrong with it cause they don't want to know! I'd avoid them like the plague (and their sidekick companys Dixons and Currys!)

BigWill

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not at all. I've not had the slightest problem!

Nick BSRIPN

13. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

So that's two of us that can't sleep eh, Nick? /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Geoff

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sounds like the BIOS settings indeed - wake on MODEM or wake on LAN activated.

Nick BSRIPN

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup.

Nick BSRIPN

16. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Let's see, I don't know of any lullabys to help you fellas go to sleep. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Sorry that you can't sleep.

Diane CRIPN

17. BigWill

Put on a Daniel O'Donnel record.............that always bloody puts me to sleep!

BigWill

18. Larry Shone

so why doesnt my mates PC not recognise Canon, how dare it!

[​IMG]FRIPN

19. Larry Shone

but, oh i dunno, i dont understand it all. Add device, and it lists Agfa followed By casio, so if it recognises Canon, where is it in the listing?
    If the pc recognises the device when its plugged in does it then put that device in the list?

[​IMG]FRIPN

20. Larry Shone

parallel ports go back a lot longer than that Billy!

[​IMG]FRIPN