1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somebody help me!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Larry Shone, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a new PC with Windows XP( yuk!) and it doesnt recognise his scanner(Canon Canonscan N340P). In fact it doesnt recognise Canon at all!. I downloaded the canon driver for the scanner, then downloaded the XP service pack 1 , all 25MB of it, no problem but it was a complete waste of time!

He still can't install a canon scanner on his machine, it refuses to do it.
    When we go to 'Add an imaging device'Canon isn't listed. It goes from Agfa to Casio.
    How can i make his PC recognise Canon?

[​IMG]FRIPN

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Are you sure it was the Windows XP driver you downloaded for that particular scanner Larry? Perhaps Canon simply don't have a windows XP driver for that particular scanner........in which case you're snookered I'm afraid.! The only possible way around this is to have a dual boot system on his PC where you can choose good old Windows 98 instead of XP when he needs to use the scanner. Not too sure how to set up a dual boot system though, you'll need to talk to Fen, Stef, Ian or Inflatable about that. Try http://driverguide.com for an XP driver for that scanner although if it ain't on Canon's website then I doubt that you'll get it there, but it's worth a try. That particular site has got me out of many a hole when looking for drivers in the past. That XP is a nightmare when it comes to getting drivers for old pieces of hardware! Far better off with Win98SE I reckon!

BigWill

Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

3. Larry Shone

the thing is i have the driver, its from canons site! Its the stupid Add device thing in XP.On my old pc if a brand name wasnt listed i could add one, im sure i could. Not with XP it seems!
    and i agree with Far better off with Win98SE I reckon!

[​IMG]FRIPN

4. neilford

neilford Well-Known Member

You can add your own drivers, it's just that the process has changed.

As I've mentioned in the Lounge, I suspect it's a hardware issue, because XPs New hardware wizard should be detecting the scanner when it's plugged in, even if it doesn't have a native driver. If it's not doing that then there's a problem with the USB bus somewhere.

- Neil.

5. Larry Shone

but it aint connected to the USB port, the printer is and installed fine!
    It detected that auto matically and thats a canon S200! So what the fudge is goin on?

[​IMG]FRIPN

6. neilford

Okay, so how's it connected?

- Neil.

7. Larry Shone

parallel port. Using the scan software it reports an error and the scanner makes a noise. kinda like wuh wuh click.

[​IMG]FRIPN

8. neilford

Okay

I'm working on a walkthrough, but the Canon software doesn't seem to contain definable drivers (no visable .inf files).

Just to check you have installed the software you downloaded, correct?

- Neil.

9. Larry Shone

I have installed the software, several times!
    BTW, im not using that PC at the moment, thats my mates PC, im on an ME machine.

[​IMG]FRIPN

10. neilford

ME... now that is a bastardisation of an operating system :)

Strangely when trying to do a manual install of a device, the only imaging device drivers that are listed are all cameras (or so it would seem). Find that most odd.

Still digging as to where the software puts the drivers.

- Neil.

11. Larry Shone

the only imaging device drivers that are listed are all cameras (or so it would seem).
    apart from Xerox, which lists scanners!

[​IMG]FRIPN

12. neilford

I'd got as far as Nikon (expecting to see the Coolscans listed) and just assumed the rest.

Canon's website isn't particularly helpful when it come to documentation, the only advice it gives is that it may be down to the BIOS setting for the parallel port.

Just to check, the scanner is the only thing plugged into the port, correct?

- Neil.
    (technical support by bulletin board - new one for me :) )

13. Larry Shone

thats right, nuthin else plugged in there.I just want to know if its the same with everyone using XP and expecting to use a canon scanner. Does this mean they all cant use canon?

[​IMG]FRIPN

14. neilford

I very much doubt it Larry. I have just bought a N670U (I think, it's in the boot right now) for a client and is specifically says on the box that it's XP compatible. I should be able to confirm tomorrow if it's true.

Considering where you are at with this scanner, I would recommend hooking it up to another PC to see if it works okay. That would then eliminate hardware problems with the scanner.

Alternatively tell your mate to go blow 50quid in PC World and get himself a new usb based scanner. That what I tell my clients to do, because unless it's a really high end scanner, I'm going to cost them more in my time that a replacement is :)

- Neil.

15. Larry Shone

i dont think He's go for blowing 50 quid on a USB scanner! I think he'd be better off with a parralel scanner anyway as we have problems with ours. When we plug our scanner in the modem goes offline(its USB too).
    I could try plugging his scanner in this machine but that means installing all the software etc!

[​IMG]FRIPN

16. Larry Shone

I just tried something! I thought, i know, lets see if the same happens on this PC! Go to add new hardware, click on Scanneras and cameras and voila, theres
    Canon listed, but only cameras!
    Oh and according to this pc theres no scanner installed. Hmmmmmm

[​IMG]FRIPN

17. neilford

I've used a large number of USB scanners and never had a problem. One important thing to remember is that the underlying USB code has got better over time, XP's handling of devices is superb. And USB will be considerably faster than parellel.

The problem you have right now is that you are chasing your tail to some extent, you don't know which bit of the puzzle is at fault. Whilst installing the software on to another PC would be a pain, it wouls allow you to prove the scanner is good before blowing anymore time chasing down an issue with XP. The driver on the Canon site is good for all versions of Windows, so assuming you can copy it off of your mates PC, you shouldn't need to download it again. If that is a problem, private me your address and I'll stick a CD in the post to you.

It's usually at this point that people realise why people pay me to take care of this stuff for them. Last week I was paid for 3 hours work just to install The Sims for someone! Some days I just love my job :)

- Neil.

18. Larry Shone

well i have the driver here, i downloaded it here before he had the net.but i dont think its the scanner, im pretty sure of it. Its obvious to me that its XP not supporting Canon!

[​IMG]FRIPN

19. neilford

Larry

Just because there are no drivers installed as standard, it does not mean the operating system does not support the device you are trying to attach.

If you really want me to prove the point, I will go get my client's scanner out of the car, hook it up to my laptop (running XP Pro) and send you a scan of something interesting.

I'm not saying your problems aren't XP related, just that right now we can't rule out the hardware either.

- Neil.

20. Larry Shone

so my mates PC is alone in not recognising Canon devices.
    You know anything about I-Friend PCs?

[​IMG]FRIPN