1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some pics shot Rollei VarioChrome ...

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Done_rundleCams, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Here are some shots I took with my Pentax MX w/ a SMC 35/2.8 and a Tele-Takumar 400/5.6 lens. Shot the film at 400 ASA and scanned ...

Thoughts .... good, bad or indifferent ?? Personally, I'm not sure but a lot of people who have seen in FB don't mind (some of) the pics ;)

Sept 2017-AP-VarioChrome-Simpson2072-07 copy.jpg Sept 2017-AP-VarioChrome-Simpson2072-09 copy.jpg Sept 2017-AP-VarioChrome-Simpson2072-23 copy.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

AlanW likes this.
  2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Like the double doubleyous in the second picture but the final one hits the mark for me, it has that Saul Leiter feel to it that I love (hope you don't mind the comparison).

Alan

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The subjects are fine, but I'm glad I've seen the results before I bought any.

I don't think VarioChrome is for me.

S

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Pics are fine but I don't care for the grain or the colour that much.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I like the dog! Really well caught :)

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I don't think that the grain and colour rendition work particularly well with the subject matter in first picture. They work far better with the second picture and the third is (in my opinion) a cracker and is the sort of subject to which this film is perfectly suited.

I suppose it's much as it ever was - you choose the film most suited to the result that you're looking for and, although I appreciate that this film isn't for everyone, I think that having it available as an option can't possibly be a bad thing.

Cheers, Jeff

7. Done_rundleCams

Wow, thanks Alan, that's quite a honour being compared with Mr. Leiter :eek: .. :). Oddly, I'd never noticed the double doubleyous before and just had to shoot them and was sitting in my local (cafe) and saw the ladies and voila ;)

Cheers,

Jack

AlanW likes this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

I know what you mean, Steve, and having never been a real slide/trannie shooter, I figured I'd give it ago.
    Also, bear in mind, they recommend shooting the film at 200 ASA for projection which might give a different
    look :). I shot it at 400 ASA which what is recommended to scanning purposes.

Cheers and mind you the film does do a decent mono conversion ;) ....

Sept 2017-AP-VarioChrome-Simpson2072-04 copy.jpg Sept 2017-AP-VarioChrome-Simpson2072-29 copy.jpg

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Terry :) and some folks are not enamoured with the grain and/or the colour, but, a few folks really like the warm tone and, I'm guessing,
    can live with the grain :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Done_rundleCams

Thanks very much Andrew :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Jeff :) and, regarding the dog pic, I, almost, converted it to Mono but, for reasons unknown to me, I decided to leave it as warm, grainy and flat colour image ;). Regarding the second pic, I bumped up the contrast just a tad and added a wee bit of saturation and, almost, added some blue to cool in down
    a bit, but it just didn't look right (to me) and, for the third pic, a little crop and bumped up the contrast a wee bit and a wee bit of brightening via exposure (on Preview).

Regarding the film, it does come in a cool looking box ;) but, I didn't read up on the film before popping it in my camera and so, consequently, I was kinda
    surprised at how warm(ish) it looked and wasn't aware of how grainy it was until looking at the scans ;) I might blast off another roll, if we get some more snow
    this winter and see how that turns out :D Plus, I don't fancy spending $35 ($15 for film and $20 for D&S) on a weekly or monthly basis :D

Cheers and thanks :)

Jack

Fishboy likes this.