1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some great portraits

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Jul 10, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Some really interesting contact sheet action, and some great portraits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-40518635

I find the yellow and red marks fascinating, having never worked with film or contact sheets, but can see where the 'selection' behaviours in Lightroom have been formed.

2. EightBitTony

I really wish you could edit subjects :(

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But how would new language evolve? ;)

Nice stuff. I love looking at all the other takes you didn't see.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely convinced that I like these.

On one hand they're an interesting insight into the work of the portraitist and it's different to see such well known celebrities relaxing for the camera.

On the other hand they're basically a series of pictures of people who are dicking about and gurning at a camera.

If they were pictures of one of my mates from the pub they'd be throw-away nonsense - is the fact that they're celebrities enough to redeem them? I honestly don't know.

Cheers, Jeff

AlanW and SXH like this.
  5. RovingMike

I thought that at first, but more I looked, the more I thought he had really cracked something by getting that kind of cooperation from them. The Clooney expressions are absolutely typical of the guy and show real character.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

Yep, I like them because they're unusual, and the chosen images are actually, in my view, really reflective of the character. The apparently chosen Kate Winslet one is superb.

In the same vein as shooting ordinary things in extraordinary conditions, to show people something they don't normally see, I think these images bring a new view to something we're very used to seeing.

7. RovingMike

Maybe if the Master of Photography guy who went out last week had got that kind of reaction from his mates, he'd be in the final.

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Done.

9. EightBitTony

I am forever* in your debt.

* for various definitions of forever. Non-refundable. Non-transferable. Do not bend, spindle or mutilate.

10. EightBitTony

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I like them a lot and I have used the technique of getting the subject to 'gurn' for the camera before when shooting children. It's a case of getting them 'involved' in such a way that they focus on gurning and forget to be self-conscious. You have to take quite a few images and be on the lookout for the shots that 'work' in among those that don't but it can be very effective. My nephew always liked to 'pose' for the camera and would have this awful rictus grin on his face that I could never persuade him to drop. I deliberately got him making stupid faces because while concentrating on doing something daft he forgot to 'pose'.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. RovingMike

EightBitTony likes this.