1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So is Kodachrome coming back? :)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by P_Stoddart, Jul 24, 2017.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

First some name dropping :p LOL

I was talking to Mat Finn about his new work called Mother (name of the book) at a print preview in a gallery, and during the conversation (he shoots only film) he said Kodachrome is coming back. After picking myself up from the floor having come round from the shock. :p LOL

I of course said it is bloody difficult because the K-14M process is very complex and has to be done by machine really. Takes 17 stages to get your lovely slides LOL

Looked on internet and indeed there are some stories about this.

So anyone know if this is really going to happen?! :)

I would thought a story in AP would have been hot off the presses if so. LOL

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Ektachrome is supposed to be back, probably not Kodachrome.

S

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It would be nice, but I doubt it.

Mainly because of all the developing gear that would be needed. A tad complicated, iirc!

ETA: is it possible he was referring to this? ;)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that there is about a 99.99% chance that it
    shan't be coming back.

Cheers,

Jack

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That good a chance!:) Talk about optimistic.

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Let say it did happen, who on here would give it a try to see if they have got it right? :)

7. Done_rundleCams

:D

Jack

8. Done_rundleCams

Well, I wouldn't purchase any ;). In my film shooting days, I shot "a" roll of Kodachrome 64 and "a" roll of Velvia 50 because I was given a roll
    of each for free (and with processing included ;) ) The only other time I shot slide film was cuz someone wanted to shoot something and they
    wanted to a slide show (on whatever it was) and so they purchased 30 rolls of Fuji (PI) slide film and I got the job done in one roll :eek: So, I had
    29 rolls of slide film to play with as, for some reason, no one wanted to buy :) So, if someone gives me a roll of PI slide film, I would take it :D.

As an aside, a mate of mine just purchased a FM2 w/a 50/1.4 and MD-12 and to test it out he bought, from the shop I work at, a roll of Provia 100-36
    which cost him $18.99 (before 12% tax) CDN :eek: :eek: because, as he states, slide film tells you how exact your camera's shutter speeds and apertures, i.e.: exposure is. I said, are you really sure you want to know that? ;) BTW, the Nikon kit was going to cost $200 CDN sans taxes :). FWIW, the negs from
    my current MX do the same thing :D

Cheers,

Jack

9. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I would! :)

Given the chance I would love to try some Kodachrome 25 120 roll film, although the cost would probably be prohibitive nowadays.

I have fond memories of Kodachrome 64 and its 'chocolate box' colours, but Kodachrome 25 was something else, and would be epic in 6 x 7 or 645 exposures.