1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how big is your.... dust bunny?

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Nov 24, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I seem to have a whopper! Have to get the hoover out...

Adrian

_DSC3175.jpg

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Isn't that the moon?

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

That long tapering spiky thing?
    No, it's a big dog hair.

S

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mine's a bit rounder.
    ap moon and monument.jpg

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's a murmaration

Catriona likes this.
  6. gray1720

Wish it was a murmuration - we do get good ones round here, but I don't often see them. It's in too many photos to be owt but a dust bunny!

Adrian

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Think yourself lucky it's not a bust dunny

gray1720 and steveandthedogs like this.
  8. gray1720

*chokes on his glass of Tobermory*

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I had one like that in my D50 for ages then it suddenly disappeared so you may get lucky...

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

The thing that puzzles me is my dust bunnies were always dark. Still looks like the moon to me!

11. Catriona

My D50 was a pig for dust bunnies. I became very adept at using eclipse and swabs.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is over the tree to the right of the church

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Haha! So it is!
    When I got my D50, new, I was horrified to see a similar smudge on it. I sent it back straight away and it was replaced. It wasn't a dust bunny it was a grease smudge. Presumably in the manufacturing process.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Careless of them...:rolleyes:

I think mine was more like the 'hair in the gate' you occasionally got in movies as it did move occasionally between frames. In the end I reckon it must have worked itself free and fallen off....

Catriona likes this.
  15. James8arthur

James8arthur Active Member

I've got a huge one on my sensor :( I should have checked before my holiday last year. The previous year, I had 2-3 nasty specks on the LCD of my D5300 but they never appeared on any photos.
    There's no way I'm attempting to clean the sensor myself, I guess I'll have to look at sending it off for a service (Jessops do this I think).

16. James8arthur

I've got a huge one on my sensor :( I should have checked before my holiday last year. The previous year, I had 2-3 nasty specks on the LCD of my D5300 but they never appeared on any photos. They disappeared on their own, or rather, one has found itself falling onto the sensor.
    There's no way I'm attempting to clean it myself, I guess I'll have to look at sending it off for a service (Jessops do this I think). Need to do it before March too :)
    Jaip001.jpg

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you follow the instructions in the manual you'll be OK. They will be to blow air gently from a bulb blower without touching anything. Has always worked for me.

18. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Not sure what the cost is now, but in 2016 Nikon charged me £31 for a sensor clean on my D810, postage is free, which I thought was very good value.

19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It is not as scary as it sounds, but I understand why you don't want to do it. Be careful
    where you get it done, there are stories of some cameras being worse after a "professional " clean. Also look out for free sensor cleaning which some retailers sometimes offer to attract you to their events.

20. James8arthur

I'd be happy to pay the £31 from Nikon Saxacat, will look at their website for details.

Guys, won't I risk just making thinks worse by blowing with a bulb blower? I'm not even familiar with the insides of a camera and have only ever swapped lenses a few times.
    Since I'm considering sending it away, maybe now's the time to take a proper look inside.

One last question. Is it true whilst using my zoom lens (Tamron 18-270) that can actually attribute to the dust getting into the camera?

Thanks for your time.