1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snappy Snaps - useless

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dmax, Jan 16, 2002.

1. dmax

dmax Member

I just wanted to post this message and see if anyone else has any problems with them. mine are as follows.
    I had 10 films processed, a deadline meant I needed them Mon am, I took theme there Sat 2pm and asked for 24hr. Sunday came and I went to collect my prints only to be told there was a problem with the print processor, come back in an hour. I did, same problem, keep coming back. End of the day no prints, missed deadline, out of pocket. Picked up the prints Mon afternoon after work. I was given the bill and asked to pay full price I asked for a deduction and was offered £5 off after bargaining all I got was £10 off bill for 10 rolls d&p.
    I decided to give them a second chance, in my opinion their prints are pretty good quality. I went in for a 3 hr process with 2 rolls of fuji colour 12 exp and 1 roll of 36 CN400 (b&w C41 process. I was asked if I wanted the prints on colour or b&w paper, I opted for b&w. On collection I was presented with a bill for about £25, I asked why it was so high and was told that the b&w paper is expensive I was never informed of any price difference when offered the different papers. At the end of day I accept that it is my responsibility to check.
    On inspection of the colour prints I notice that a couple have been printed between two frames, not for the first time either, they were duly reprinted. On inspection of the negs however I noticed to my horror that the final frame had been cut through. I enquired why and unbeleivably was told that it happened in my camera! After a short theory lesson to the manager he then replied 'It's not our fault the machine cuts the end off when the film goes through'. I find it hard to beleive it would cut through an image, as he showed me some empty cannisters and sure enough they were cut off before it reached the cannister but I think there would have been enough room for my final exposure, considering the space between the film plane of the camera (Nikon f801) and the film can.
    Anyway at the end of the day I must say I am really dissapointed with Snappy Snaps (Wood Green, London branch), and want to hear what others may think.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I wouldn't use a High St processor for critical work however good the quality is. But after stories like that I wouldn't use Snappy Snaps at all! If they're going to lie to you, it's simply not acceptable. Go somewhere else.

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

3. dmax

dmax Member

I agree, but on that ocassion my options were limited.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, I was stating the obvious!

Nick NRIPN

5. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

I went to boots for 1 hour processing just before Xmas (trying out new flash to make sure Xmas pics werent ruined). Their lab was either too busy or had a problem, so they could not offer the 1 hour service, so I took the film to Snappy Snaps, having read some good reviews.

When I went back, the film had only just been printed, and the negs were still in one strip on the holder they use. While she was cutting and sorting my pictures, the neg strip was dumped in about 4 different locations (behind the cutting machine, on the counter etc) and I could not believe the way it was handled.

I was impressed that she looked through the prints, and showed me two with some dust impressions on them. I declined the offer to have these reprinted as I was pressed for time, and it was only a test film anyway. However, on looking at the others afterwards there were many more, with worse dust problems than these - not surprising the way they handle negs!

It cost me about £12.50 for a 36 film, and when I looked at the price list I had shoved in my bag as I left, that was more than the price list said. I could not work out how they came to this price, but could not be bothered to go back into town at Xmas to complain.

Needless to say I wont be using them again either, especially at that price! If I want average quality and poor service, I can get it a lot cheaper than that!

6. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

<--I wouldn't use a High St processor for critical work however good the quality is. But after stories like that I wouldn't use Snappy Snaps at all! If they're going to lie to you-->

Hmm, well Snappy Snaps is a franchised co. isn't it so it is impossible to apply any blanket opinion over it. No two work in the same way. I really don't think they are any worse than anyone else!

-->It cost me about £12.50 for a 36 film, and when I looked at the price list I had shoved in my bag as I left, that was more than the price list said. I could not work out how they came to this price, <--

I dunno but you are usually charged per print ren't you, and you may well have had more than 36. Still seems a lot though! unless you had extra sets or 5x7 or something...

Hmm, it always seems so obvious and easy when you're the photographer but since working in a lab you see how bloody ridiculous it can be for people to expect some things...I know I must've been a bit of a nightmare customer in the past judging by what I've seen...it's no excuse, but is it really very sensible to take something very precious to a High St lab for an hour job or whatever...or to take it anywhere except do it yourself or pay a fortune for it to be done specially...

ermx

7. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

My local Boots suffers from bloody awful customer service. Every time I want one hour processing they are a) never done within the hour and b) they always have to hunt around for them. Not very inspiring. Having said that the quality of the prints themselves has never been a problem, so the tech' obviously knows what he's doing, it's just the poorly trained lethargic staff that let them down.

The Snappy-Snaps I use for my slides (Knightsbridge branch) if I'm in a hurry and don't want to wait for Fuji or 7Week Labs has always done me proud. If I say I want them quickly and they're busy, they always tell me from the outset, as opposed to Boots where it's always 'no problem' until you come to get them.The lady who seems to run the processing is always very helpful. On one specific occasion, she wasn't 100% sure of the process temperature for some film I asked her to push-process for me. Rather then just bodge the job, she phoned Fuji and asked. I've got nothing but praise for them.

I would imagine that, as with any franchise, the standards of service are dependant on the management.

It's not the size of your lens that matters; it's the depth of your field!
    tommy MRIPN

8. dmax

dmax Member

I don't feel it bloody ridiculous to expect a consistent service, after one problem or another, especially the continual printing of negs between frames. Snappy snaps are probably the most expensive on the high street, I'm sure they wouldn't say if it is of value don't bring it to us!
    Regarding the franchise issue, I was aware of it, but feel it is no excuse for sloppy standards. As far as I can tell no two work at all!
    I appreciate the pressures the staff are put under, but surely that is due to the never ending quest for profit that means staffing levels are always stretched to the limit and some people don't get a break, day off etc. Also the rates of pay in these places is exploitive.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, to be clear I was meaning that particular branch. I can forgive incompetance, but not deliberate lies.

Nick NRIPN

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

"Also the rates of pay in these places is exploitive" - I don't think you need to tell Niccx that!

Nick NRIPN

11. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Unless you really really really MUST HAVE your images like one hour before you shot them, just use Sensia slide film (for accurate recording of image without lab machine adjusting),process paid (Fuji are brilliant), post to Fuji from anywhere you are in the UK, and get them back in 2/3 days, total cost £6 per 36 exposures.
    Film scan yourself and print. At 6" by 4" (i.e. the size you might normally get back from a lab)you can get away with murder, often relying on Photoshop to adjust in Autolevels and then sharpen a bit. The results are just far and away superior to any I've had back from labs IMHO
    I just can't imagine why I put up with all the years of eager anticipation, followed by disappointment as I worked my way through various labs
    Oh I just love to be in control

Pete
    Not waving but drowning, gulp

12. dmax

dmax Member

I didn't want the pics one hour before I shot them, I wanted them in 24hrs, not too much to ask is it?
    Although shooting on trannie film and getting the process paid option is all well and good, I feel the nature of the film means there is very limited latitude to exposure levels, especially when you are shooting and getting a lot of 'grab' shots.

Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains.

13. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

You're so right about the 24 hours. My point is that to get quality its just so much better to do it yourself and it need not take long. I prefer trannie film because of the accuracy and detail. I find that the camera meters correctly in most circumstances, otherwise I bracket or spot meter if the situation obviously demands it.
    Fascinating sign-off - Snappy Snaps had better watch out come the revolution. Today Tooting, tomorrow the World maybe?

Pete

14. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains.

What he meant of course was swap one set of chains for another!

"Shut up Eccles!!"

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I honestly don't think that was what he meant - just the end result!

Nick NRIPN

16. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well I think that Snappy Snaps is utter pooh except for Erm, who is superb and wonderful and gorgeous and deserves a big pay rise and should be nominated for employee of the year and be promoted to manager of the entire chain of stores and maybe then we would get something like customer service!

Big(Erm for president!)Will

17. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

All we hear about is the bloody workers - what about us slackers???

Pete

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We've got the AP Web Presence!

Nick NRIPN

19. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I've used 2 different Snappy Snaps and have had two very different experiences.

At the first, my negs had scratches right the way along the middle. Didn't really notice on the prints, but then I scanned them in on a Canon Neg scanner. Cuee one sleepness night using Photoshop to try and get rid of the scratches. I'm also not convinved by the print quality, some of the colours seemed a bit washed out.

The other branch I've used is the Watford one and they were excelent. I'ts the only time I've seen staff in a hight street lab wearinbg gloves to protect the negs. The staff are extremel;y helpful and knowledgabe - they even reccomended another lab nearby who would do a better job for some reprints. All in all an excellent service.

Snappy Snaps are expensive, but overall I've been impressed (with the Watford one anyway).

Simon

20. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

!! I am a very good girl and *always* wear my gloves!!! I'm shocked people don't.

We often recommend people go elsewhere if we think it'd be better. If they just want an average copy of a colour print with no negs we'll send them elsewhere to photocopy it insted of paying loads for a scan...

You're obviously going to the wrong shop, you need to come to me!:)

ermx