1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snapbridge - wins competition for worst software ever!

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Kettering_Jeremy, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Nikon have just released the iOS version of this software.

They claim it makes the cameras that can use it a much more connected experience; meaning you can post pictures on social media much more easily.

It also provides remote control with a view of the image as seen through the viewfinder in real time!

That second one is the most useful (to me). I've experienced this kind of technology; my wife has an Olympus OM-D E-M5 II, and the remote app is fantastic. You can see the image, in real time, you can change the exposure, set time intervals - the only thing I can see that you can't do is actually zoom the lens.

Nikon Snapbridge on the other hand allows you to see the image and....... wait for it - fire the shutter. That's it. All that wi-fi and Bluetooth tech and all the thing will do is fire the shutter.

Oh well I thought just have to get out the chair to adjust exposure if necessary, only to find that one in remote control mode you can't change anything on the camera either! Arrrgh.

Come on Nikon, the D500 is a superb camera, amazing with almost magical autofocus and a buffer that seems to be inexhaustable. But the Snapbridge software is utterly useless.

I'd had thought that the "Snap" in the name reffered to "Photos", but clearly it means "broken".

Does anyone else have any experience of this software? Am I being harsh?

KR

J

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Something seems to have got worse. I take it that at least you paired the camera and phone.
    I followed the instructions but as soon as I enter the camera menu item 'Connect to smart device' I am asked for a piece of text. The phone just sits there searching and NFC does not do anything.
    Any ideas?

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon produce a piece of software called "Camera Control Pro" with the aid of the appropriate wireless transmitter for your camera it does everything you mention.

Unfortunately Nikon want something like £300 for the software and another £1,299 for a WT7 (for the D500). You can use the software via a cable connection too, just as well with the price of a Nikon transmitter. Now, why would Nikon give all that functionality away when they can sell it for a very large sum of money?(Irony mode isn't installed)

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It's bad enough that they charge a fortune for the WTs, but (unless anything has changed) they are not exactly well built.
    Around 10 years back I bought the WT4, and sent it back - it was a piece of flimsy plastic that did not warrant the money.
    It wouldn't be so bad if this tech was particularly complex. It is effectively a wireless access point with some firmware to make the connection simple.
    Nikon still, for reasons I can only put down to arrogance, assume they can charge what the hell they like for equipment.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a WT2 and it is actually very well built and integrates well with a D2 series camera, by current standards the security is laughable though. I have never got it to work the way I think it should but as I paid only $99 for it I haven't much to complain about.

I do however agree that the Nikon transmitters are massively over priced, they should cost no more than £150 and need to be an integrated part of the system rather than a box hung on the side.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I use, occasionally Nikon's WMU Wireless Mobile Utility which is an IOS App that works with my Nikon 1 and again does what is expected of it. It is free. Nikon can do it but for some reason the have SnapBridge.

7. Learning

I got it working in the end.
    I would like to see it integrated into a grip with extra batteries. That would not be cheap.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Grips are well over priced too!

9. Learning

You bet. And so do the batteries to go in them.
    But put cost asside for a moment and look at practicalities.
    WiFi uses a lot of energy.
    Battery grips provide energy.
    Nikon's WiFi offerings hang on like widgets ready to be knocked off, or sit in an empty grip without essential batteries,or controls.​
    It seems that Nikon have people designing stuff at great expense but without an overiding view. Lets put wireless flash in there too.
    The camera should not be encombered by stuff most people don't want or use. Keep it simple.
    Let the well secured grip have all the add ons. Batteries, wireless flash control, networking by WiFi, Bluetooth, and the other one. Canon give away their remote control software. Don't give it away, but include it with the 'SmartGrip'. If no one has trade marked 'Smart Grip' then they bloody well should have done so. I think that a product like this would sell in high volume at stupidly high prices. Who would buy it? Serious users who make a living outof Nikon kit and amateurs like myself who like nice stuff and can afford it.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes for those cameras which take them a "Smart Grip" might work but with one or two exceptions such cameras are lower priced models. A Smart grip for the D500 and/or D850 would make sense but for, say, a D3NNN or D5NNN series camera a grip would need to be priced well below that of the camera. There are two* main types of user who want Wi-Fi in a camera, the professional who wants images sent to the news room as they are taken and the social media user who wants to post what they are doing. They have different needs of the device, one will be willing to pay for robustness and reliability the other wants it built in at no extra cost. Limiting the Wi-Fi capability to a grip is limiting, but having a different transmitter for each camera model is equally limiting and very expensive for both Nikon and their customers.

Given that my Nikon 1J5 has Wi-Fi and uses a battery that is actually smaller than my XQD reader I am not sure Wi-Fi is power hungry, remember Wi-Fi can be built into an SD card. This makes me rather sceptical of the idea of putting Wi-Fi in a grip, especially as none of my cameras take a grip, they don't need to it is already part of the body. I don't particularly want Wi-Fi built into the camera either, because I wouldn't use it regularly, what I want is something small, convenient and flexible that I can connect as an when I need.

Taking the SD card sized Wi-Fi adaptor as an example, it should be possible to build a device that fits in the USB port of a camera and is no bigger than a 1/3N battery, all programming achieved by connecting to a USB port on a computer. The camera would see it as being a computer connected by a USB lead and, with appropriate software, work accordingly.

*Yes there will also be those who want to have full remote access to their camera, I might like that facility occasionally.

11. Learning

I have got smartbridge working nicely between a D500 and android 9 using the latest versions of the app and camera firmware. I initially had problems even with the latest versions. I don't know what I amd doing differently but it just works.
    Some things I would like.
    Be able to set the timeout before low power mode occurs.
    When low power mode occurs the app should clear the 'Standing By' notification.
    To be able to connect to two cameras simoultaneously (albeit with reduced functionality, so very poor image transfer and no remote control); this would be useful for tranferring location data.​
    Snap bridge certainly quickly gained a poor reputation. Nikon seem to have fixed most of the problems. I would now give it four stars out of five.