1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoke

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by MGilbeyPhotography, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Ordered some smoke grenades to use with a model in an abandoned RAF base, what's the best settings/method to get the model and smoke in focus and crisp?

I have a nikon d3300 with a 18-55 kit len, 55-200 zoom and a 50 F/1.8 prime, which should I use?

Cheers
    Marcus

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Out of the three lenses you list, I would go with the prime every time in this situation. Settings will very much depend on your lighting etc. An expert will be along shortly. Over to you Phil. :)

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This is a "help" question really. What follows is a guess.

I don't really know what to expect from the smoke but wind conditions would determine how it moves. I'd guess 1/250 s would freeze it but you'll have to experiment. Focus on the model and let the smoke take care of itself. You may have to set the exposure manually so it is correct for the model, depends how much the smoke affects the settings. Lens choice depends how far away you want to be really. If this is outdoors you can afford to stand off a bit.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep, focus on the model. Smoke might look better with movement anyway.