1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small steel barquentine

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by sagamore, Oct 20, 2017.

1. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

Completed yesterday. Bob In hand 1 enhanced (Medium).jpg

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I admire model makers who can carry out such detailed work, as mentioned elsewhere I have neither the patience or finesse for fine work, it's probably why I can't draw either as much as I want to.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

very pretty Bob.

4. sagamore

One of the things I don't have is certainly patience. These don't take all that long because they are small. No knots are involved, all the wire rigging is just glued on in short lengths. It is not a kit - just made from bits & pieces.
    Bob

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I would have thought that having to glue all the "ropes" would be more difficult than using "rigging".
    As for being made of bits and pieces you must have a handy source that all seem to come together to make such a wonderful object.:)

6. sagamore

The rigging is fine copper wire. It it is stretched slightly with two small pairs of pliers, it makes it go straight. Then I measure the length I want with a pair of dividers, and cut it to that length with a scalpel. I pick the straight bit of wire up in the centre with a fine pair of tweezers, dip each end in glue, and just place it on the model. The running blocks are just blobs of paint applied with a brush. The bits and pieces don't amount to much. Brass tube and rod, thin white plastic sheet, veneer for the decks. Hull plating from strips of writing paper. My wife will be painting the sea in the next few days, and then it will be complete, as I have already made the display case. Most model builders just declare that they could never do anything like that, and never even try! Others say they haven't the time, so they build kits. When I ask how long it takes them to build a kit, it is usually months or even years. These take about 50 hours, all timed on a stopwatch and spread over a few weeks. I don't work all that hard on them, and never accept private commissions or anything like that - just a hobby.
    Bob

spinno likes this.
  7. sagamore

Finally fitted in the sea. A lot of photographers complain about the pen, saying it is distracting, but leaving it out is not an option! Complete 1 W (Medium).JPG It demonstrates the small size of the model, and has, over the years, become my "Trademark!" Fujifolm Finepix EXR200.
    Bob

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've no objection to your trademark pen for scale.

That sea really brings it to life - your wife's skill at painting the sea complements your modelling skill perfectly!

Cheers, Jeff

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Excellent.
    That sea looks really good, and the mounting plinth is equally tasteful.
    The pen? A great idea. How else would anyone know how teeny these beautiful vessels are?

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That is really good.
    And the ship isn't bad either...
    Sorry someone had to do it. I like it but dare not look at the sea for too long as it makes me a little green around the gills...:D

11. sagamore

Hardly a rough sea though! :D How about this for a heavy sea?:eek:
    Bob Good Hope Castle (Small).jpg

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Huey....Ralph....:D