1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small item of good news.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Sep 1, 2017.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

For a number of weeks now my wife and I have watched a new family of moorhens settle in around an old moat at our local Motte & Bailey. The chicks have flourished and were, on Tuesday of this week when we saw them, almost as well developed as their parents. Originally there were six chicks but only three survived.
    However, on wednesday, as we walked with two of our grandchildren near the moat, we were startled to see a dark shape swimming in the moat towards the moorhens nest location. At first I though it was a small otter, but when I alerted my wife to it she immediately identified it as a mink.
    "Whoops", I thought, "that's the end of the moorhens."
    However, today, we found to our great relief that all five of the moorhens were tootling about on the water. The mink was clearly on the hunt, but clearly it did not have moorhen for lunch that day.

NB: It's the first time I've ever seen a wild mink in north Shropshire, or indeed anywhere else in the country.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Cage trap. Piece of smelly fish. Then drown the bugger (in the absence of any more humane method of despatch).

Catriona and Nig like this.
  3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...and don't get your fingers within a yard of it!

Adrian

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice on trapping. If there's a pair that could mean new gloves for my wife.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suggest that you report your mink to https://www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/
    Most, possibly all, wildlife trusts regard mink as vermin dangerous to our indiginous species.
    They are difficult to deal with, the mink not wildlife trust, and it may be best to let experts deal with the problem.

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes I was just about to say Mink need reporting.