1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sloping images

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Martin350d, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Martin350d

Martin350d Member

Having shortly returned from a trip to The Lakes, I find that the majority of my images have a slope on them. It's very obvious where images include lakes or tarns, one side of the water is noticeably higher on the image than the other.

I was aware of an issue whilst taking shots and on occasions did tilt the camera so that the image appeared level through the viewfinder. However, at the time I assumed that the issue would likely only be present through the viewfinder and not on the captured image.

I was using two Canon 350D bodies with different lenses. In both setups, the slope is present. The only things I can think of that were common to both are that prior to the trip, I had the sensors cleaned on both and I adjusted the dioptric setting on each camera.

If one of the lenses could in anyway have caused the issue, they were swapped a few times between the camera bodies before the trip.

Appreciate any suggestions.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Do you usually shoot with the camera on a tripod? If so, then there might be a level-bubble on the tripod, which should help. (I used to have the 350D, so I know that it doesn't have a level-indicator in the viewfinder.)

If you're shooting hand-held, then I suspect that you are just one of those that find it hard to take a level photograph. I had no trouble with this for 30+ years of photography, but in recent years, I have had some difficulty in this regard. I presume (but, don't know) that it's something to do with changes in one's eyesight. :(

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Martin,

Take up water-skiing? A lake with a slope is just what you need...

Seriously, I've had a problem with this for years, across multiple cameras, even with a tripod unless I'm very careful. I think it's just a problem some people have, and from what Peter says, it may develop with age -- though I'm no worse than I was 25 years ago.

Cheers,

R.

Done_rundleCams and Benchista like this.
  4. Martin350d

Martin350d Member

I was shooting hand held and have done so in The Lakes for many years now without issue using these cameras.
    As I pointed out to get a level shot through the view finder I had to noticeably turn the camera at an angle.
    It's a fairly significant slope rather than a slight mis-judgement?

5. peterba

That's what I have been finding in recent years (as per my previous post). I find that, on average, it amounts to around 2° of rotation correction in editing software, in order to put it right.

Is this anything like the problem that you're experiencing?

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly chimes with me.

I use a gridded screen or grid overlay in my most-used cameras to avoid it It is definitely user error rather than equipment fault.

7. Martin350d

Martin350d Member

8. Martin350d

Martin350d Member

About 6 degrees of right rotation on one I just edited. That's a lot for user error?
    I suspect they all need rotating the same direction i.e. to the right, although I will have to confirm. But this being the case, would you not expect user error in both directions?

9. Martin350d

Martin350d Member

Unfortunately no grid on the 350D.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Getting images level without using an artificial horizon, now common on both DSLRs and CSC's, is always difficult, even when there is a good reference. I don't think it can be anything other than user error. When I had a 5D, similar age to the 350 D, issued to use the middle line of focussing points to judge what horizontal is. Now that the cameras have the features I put both a grid and a level display in the view-finder. I find I can more easily hold the camera level nowadays, certainly I don't fiddle amount as much as I used to when I first started to use assistance.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No - I think the tendency is to lean one way or the other. It's all about how you hold the camera and how upright you stand. I've had worse than 6 degrees!

12. peterba

I'm not suggesting "user error"... I'm suggesting the possibility that you *might* have a similar vision problem to mine. Until I started to notice the problem just a few years ago, I used to pride myself on being rather good at getting level images. That's no longer the case (when not using a level-indicator), and I now have to accept it.

Of course, your situation might well be caused by something else, but it would surely be worth at least considering this possibility.

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Martin,

Yes, I'd expect it; but observation of my own photography indicates otherwise.

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly mine all slope in the same direction.
    It's impossible for the lens to cause it, and if it's happening with more than one camera, it can only be the user.

peterba likes this.
  15. peterba

Likewise.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thing is we all think we can hold a camera straight. I know I used to be able to. I also know the rot set in a long time ago in my case, back in my later film days. Doesn't matter what camera it is, I think I'm holding it straight - and I'm not. Selfies in a mirror convinced me it was me and not the camera in the end.

peterba likes this.
  17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Does your camera have a built in level gauge? I have four cameras (Canon 6D, Oly E5, PEN-1 and PEN F) all of which have built in level gauges but in some case it is buried in the instructions and hard to find

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, nothing like that in the 350D.

19. peterba

Yes, that's correct.

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I've had the same problem now for a few years, mine all slope one way and my other half's all go the other way.

peterba likes this.