1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimbridge Wetland Centre

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by dangie, Oct 3, 2014.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Going to Slimbridge next week on a club outing. Never been before. Any advice for photography gratefully accepted.

Camera Pentax K-5
    Probably take 3 lenses
    10-20mm
    17-70mm
    120-400mm

or may just take the Pentax + 120-400mm & Panasonic LX7 compact
    monopod and/or tripod

Thankyou

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Take a long lens for shots out towards the Severn Estuary, medium telephoto for pond shots from hides; the 120-400 should be fine for the former (giving you 600mm equivalent) and the 17-70mm for general shots. Don't think you would find much use for the 10-20mm.

I got on fine with a 75-300mm on my Canon 450D but found it was not really long enough for Estuary shots.

Have a great time, well worth joining the WWT. As OAPs, my wife and I pay £3.67 a month (between us) by direct debit. We have been to Arundel, Martin Mere and Llanelli as well as Slimbridge; also there is a new site on Bridgwater Bay, just off the road to Hinkley Point, up some lanes from the A39 at Cannington.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks for that Roy.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

There's a new enclosure at Slimbridge - a bit like a walk in aviary - where I was able to get good close-ups of some waders. I hope it's better advertised than it was on my visit, as I came across it by accident. I'm guessing that it's roughly half way from the Visitor Centre to the Kingfisher Hide, where despite waiting for over an hour, I saw no kingfishers. Just hope that the weather isn't misty for you!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think the Slimbridge visit must have happened if it was next week from the 2nd!

As it happened I saw a kingfisher from a hide at Martin Mere yesterday (my first proper visit) but only after being baffled for a while at what everyone was looking at. My 400 was nowhere near long enough to get a decent shot though - makes me wonder just what you really need.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

I think I was vaguely aware of the calendar, but decided that it was worth alerting others to this new "aviary" style enclosure - where once inside, there's no netting to spoil our shots.

With regard to kingfishers, the reserve that I'm associated with in north Milton Keynes put a lot of effort into building an artificial Kingfisher Bank about a year ago. There are still plenty of kingfishers around, but they've spurned our efforts. Instead, all four of the nest tubes were occupied last summer by sand martins which we're told are rarer than kingfishers in our part of Bucks.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks everyone. Visit was actually yesterday. Had a wonderful day, weather excellent.

Due to weight (gear not me) I took the SLR and a 120-400mm lens plus tripod. I thought (mistakenly) everything would be a distance away. Luckily I also took my Panasonic LX7 compact (24-90mm) which came in very useful.

Problem now is...... where next...??

8. Malcolm_Stewart

WWT Welney? During the winter months when the washes are flooded, I've never failed to get some "worth the visit" shots.

9. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I haven't been yet, but I am told that the London site (10 minutes from Hammersmith, just off the A306 south of the River) is excellent. Must try and get there next spring. Not too far from Kew Gardens either, so make a good day of it.

10. Isbella Jones

Isbella Jones In the Stop Bath

This week I'm going to London so my question is, how would be that sight you're talking about "London site (10 minutes from Hammersmith, just off the A306 south of the River" this week, is that will be okay to make some attractive pictures?

11. Malcolm_Stewart

The London WWT site is Barnes. There's a shuttle bus or similar from Hammersmith tube/bus station, and it goes to the WWT Reserve during opening hours. Highly recommended - many of the birds aren't too far away from the hides, although the tower hide gives longer views which really need a long lens.

12. Isbella Jones

Isbella Jones In the Stop Bath

Thank you so much. I'll consider it.