1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skye

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Zou, Nov 9, 2007.

1. PeatSmoke

PeatSmoke Well-Known Member

Well, in response to your other thread in the Lounge, how about another one entitled something along the lines of: -

AP Skye Meet (Month TBA...)

Then I wouldn't feel so left out, and I'd only have a 40 mile drive and a two hour ferry crossing to get there.

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Stuff Skye, your location sounds much more interesting - and I Love Skye; and I will be up there the week before Christmas too.

40 mile drive + 2 hour ferry = Benbecula?

3. PeatSmoke

I agree absolutely about my preference for the outer islands, but they are a bit of a shock to some in comparison to Skye. A bit "harsh and barren" to quote someone I overheard in conversation, but I certainly wouldn't want to live on Skye in the summer months. (I hope my friends in Aird Bernisdale don't read that)

I hope I've understood you correctly Bob, was that a question I about where I am?. No not Benbecula, although I know the Uists well and would love to live there, I live a few miles north of Stornoway on Lewis. The 40 miles is the drive down to Tarbet on Harris to get the ferry to Uig on Skye.

Enjoy your time on Skye before Christmas, it's a good time to be there, although the Sligachan Hotel (mentioned above) can be a bit of a disappointment at this time of year!

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

No hotels required, we have relatives in Kyleakin, Kyle of Lochalsh and Dornie - ever so handy ;)

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

:) :)Nice idea. I think a trip was proposed about a year ago for this spring but AFAIK nothing came of it.

I am however thinking of setting up a Lakes trip in May.

6. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Which part of the lakes are you talking about, or just a general area?

7. Hotblack

Dunno yet. Possibly Wasdale so those that want to camp (like me) can and those that want more comfort can book in to the Hotel and it's surrounded by stunning walks but it's only first thoughts really.

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

A few relatives...that sounds more like a full Clan!!!

Graeme

9. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Never mind The Lakes.......

... transport yourselves up to The Lochs! There's plenty of them. ;)

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

And they were all born in the area - no incomers. ;)

11. PeatSmoke

Re: Never mind The Lakes.......

Too right, these islands make up just 1.5% of the UK land mass, but we have 15% of the fresh water, which is full of those lovely "Wild Brownies", Salmon and Sea Trout :rolleyes: Unfortunely ,they share it with a few Midges!!!

Steady on, :( I'm one of those, but I/we didn't come here to change things, we came here to fit in. THIS IS home to us and I WOULD pass the Norman Tebbit test.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

local photography for local people

13. PeatSmoke

Hmmm, interesting coincidence there, I was born in Nottingham but I haven't lived there for over 20 years. I certainly wouldn't call it home any more. You're very welcome to it, and it's photographic opportunities.

Me, I am a local here now, so my neighbours tell me, I'm involved in my local community and I'm learning Gaelic. Enough said

14. Hotblack

:D :D It's taken 20 years and you've just been accepted :D :D.

I'm definitely going to have to make the effort to get up to the highlands and islands again soon. The last time, about 6 years ago, I wasnt in to photography so I have to go back.

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

like .......
    or there's .....
    and possibly... :D
    All I can say is lucky you and I'm glad you are enjoying your "new"life.
    I'll get the green paint off my face later :D

16. PeatSmoke

I wish I HAD lived here for 20 years. Unfortunately, I had to earn a living in another big city down south before settling here only 3 years ago :D

17. Hotblack

3 years and you've been accepted!! Are you sure? or are they just filling you with a false sense of security before they roll out the wicker man? :D :D

18. PeatSmoke

I did think of responding, tongue-in-cheek to your last post by suggesting that the locals here were 'slow learners', or that (coming from Nottingham originally) I was probably an acquired taste. :D But I didn't think either of those statememnts would help my cuase at all.

The wicker man was about an island much further south, I don't think the locals here are like that at all! Do you?

Gulp!!!

19. PeatSmoke

That would, of course, be Lincoln green, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

possibly.......
    however it's believed that Lincoln Green was actually more of a russet orange colour- perhaps why the Lincolnshire folk gave themselves the name "yellowbellies"
    anyway ey up mi duck