1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skye

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Zou, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not a request for info really, just trying to make you all jealous. I'm off to Skye for a week starting tomorrow. We'll be north of Uig, but plan to see most of the island during the week. If the weather closes in, I've a bottle of Hendricks and Talisker is just a few miles down the road. ;)

I'm taking B/W film so I've got something to work on when I come back (I'll try to develop them myself), I just got a polariser yesterday to boost contrast/blues a bit in the November skies, and of course I'll be doing pinholes both on film and digital. I doubt there'll be much time for sightseeing...

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, we had a cottage up there on the north-western coast of Trotternish a few years back (I assume that's where you mean by "north of Uig") - great sea views, and a few lesser-known points of interest, such as Duntulm Castle. And the brewery is only in Uig... :D

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's the spot, halfway between Flora's monument and Uig. Not sure if we'll have views from the cottage, but if we don't, I'm sure we won't have to go far.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The one we had had a deck in just the right place. :cool:

It's lovely up there, though - so peaceful, yet not very far to most of the points of interest.

5. PeatSmoke

PeatSmoke Well-Known Member

Make the most of the Quiraing whilst you're there, that's an amazing landscape. We have friends who live down there and we vistit them often.

Whilst you're there, look North across the Minch past the Shiant Islands (owned by Adam Nicholson, author of the excellent book "The Sea Room"), and look out for the lighthouse at Tiumpan head on Lewis, I'm looking at it now out of my study window.

Beware though, we went to Uig whilst on holiday on Skye some years ago. Wwe went on a Calmac day trip to the Outer islands, followed by numerous holidays, made many friends and ended up living here!!. No, don't beware, just be aware of what can happen. Skye's OK, but I wouldn't want to live there, and certainly not in the summer months.

Remember to give me a wave and raise your glass of Talisker....

Slainte Mha!

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Being in the hotel business these days, I'm going to keep half an eye open to the 'situations vacant' ads in the local press. I can think of far worse places to live. ;) We like Sutherland most of all, but realistically, there isn't much trade up there.

7. PeatSmoke

Yes, so do we. On a clear day, we can see most of the hills from An Teallach (South) to Foinaven (Norht)and we're about level with Suileven, they all look beautiful in the winter months when thay have a covering of snow from about 60 miles away. For us, it really is the best part of Scotland but, for some, it's too remote and lonely; they seem to profer the "Chocolate Box" places like Plockton, which is OK, but certainly not the best IMO.

Some years ago, we stayed in a hotel in Drumbeg, at the height of the summer season, and we were the only guests. It was a little un-nerving, but we were made very welcome.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm rather fond of Ullapool - no distance to that part of Sutherland, yet a little bit more on the beaten track...

9. PeatSmoke

Yes, Ullapool is a really nice place, but I think the ruggedness/remoteness gets better from there on up. The mountains of Assynt are really different to those in the West Highlands, Torridon or the Cairngorms, and they have a real Alpine feel to them, albeit smaller. Walking amongst them at this time of year is unbelieveable

10. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

Reads like you're taking a fair amount of kit; think it might be best if you have a 'kit man' to help carry your bags! ;) :D

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Shh, don't let the cat out of the bag - the wife'll be the sherpa! ;)

12. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Is the brewery the one on the tight steep bend?

Got a pot from a pottery shop in Uig, turns out the lass who owns it is a Yorkshire lass :D

Stayed in Portree myself a few years ago - nice place but Skye's a bit hard on the car suspension (cracked a sump there once and left a nice big puddle of oil outside Eilean Donan castle.. :()

Really enjoyed it there :cool:

13. PeatSmoke

Sure that's not a legacy of one of your own speedbumps? :rolleyes:

14. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Afraid not, they just ripped my splitter off my bumper once.

Was staying in Fort William at the time, parked on grass so it just soaked away as it dripped... Had a trip round Skye, turned off the road onto a parking area to look at the view and CRUNCH! Took a 4x4 last time lol (took a 4x4 round Mull as well, needed it)

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Now you're making me jelous Zou /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Have fun and I look forward to the pics :)

Quiraing is ace....with both a bike and a camera ;)

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, it's down by the car park next to the ferry terminal - the "town centre" of Uig. :D

17. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Ah right, must have been thinking of Mull. :D

18. zuiko

zuiko Well-Known Member

Zou

Thanks for reminding me of the Sligachan Hotel, pint of black face, roaring fire and looking up at the Cuillins.

David

19. PeatSmoke

I've just come back from a walk because it's such a beautiful morning and, even though they are about 100miles to the south, I could clearly see the outline of the Skye Cuillin.

20. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Oi! Shut up the lot of you. You're making me jealous and my feet are getting twitchy. I love it up there.

*mutter, grumble, grumble, mutter, hope you have a good time, Zou, mutter, mutter, grumble*