1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Arts Masters of Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this episode more than any of the others, and I suspect it was because with only four contestants, and a longer programme duration, we got to see more of their work and hear more of their thinking. I also very much enjoyed the insights of the picture editor, especially as it was clear that this aspect was something all of the contestants seemed to struggle with. I think the person who created the most consistently interesting work won but not perhaps the best photographer, and it was clear that the task floored a couple of them completely. That said, a lot of the tasks for this competition were a bit samey so perhaps there's no excuse for not 'getting' it by the end.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes agree the picture editor was good and pity some didn't follow her advice. Thought a fine art photographer as mentor for that task was nutty though. About as far from his bag as you could get, but he did make some sense. Coming from an industry where the brief is king, I couldn't see how Rupert was going to get away without a location shot, but they forgot their own brief when it suited them.

3. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I think they will have to tweak the format a little or it will because boring and stale. I don't know how Isabella Rossellini got the gig in the first place (maybe she 'knew' someone ;)) and some different judges.

Last night was the time I realised they were based in Italy, for some reason I thought they were in Germany :rolleyes:

I see entry for the second season opens on the 14th September

4. RovingMike

Sky Arts use clapped out presenters you thought were dead for everything.

5. RovingMike

6. Mark Adams

Mark Adams Well-Known Member

Got to say, really enjoyed the series. Inspiring stuff!

Mark

7. Ayaics

Ayaics New Member

Just watched the final no surprises there from the first episode you new who was going to win by the attitude on the dominant judge he tried to hide it but not very well.

8. RovingMike

He did support him all through, it's true. He was probably the candidate with most stature, but also with best ability to express things through photography, rather than record them, which is what they ultimately wanted.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I felt he was one of the few who thought about what he wanted to convey and then thought about how to do it. Some of them seemed to think about what they wanted to convey, took a picture and then talked about what they wanted to convey without actaully having done it - or at least not for anyone but themselves.

10. peanuts

peanuts Well-Known Member

I agree with that! Especially evident in Laura. She just stuck herself in the picture and then made up a whole thing about what it meant after.

11. jimh

jimh Member

Watched every episode to see if it got better, it did'nt. At the end two judges had opposing opinions of one set, then exactly the opposite opinion on another. Typical "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome, talk a load of arty farty claptrap and you're an 'expert'. At least it lead to discussions in our house, but by the second episode there was chicken wire round the tv to stop items being thrown at it.

londonbackpackr likes this.
  12. RovingMike

Yep we need a new collective noun for Experts.

A squabble of experts maybe?

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

A wrongness of experts....

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A confusion?

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

A conceit of experts.

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Actually, an illusion of experts.

17. RovingMike

A pomposity of experts?

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What's the collective noun for anti-intellectuals?

A trump? A gove?

Cheers,

R.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

surely it's a Boris

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I quite like 'A Johnson of experts' in that case. Nice euphemistic approach.

Roger Hicks likes this.