1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Arts Masters of Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Jul 17, 2016.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It was very strong graphically. All the "struggling for life" stuff they burbled on about was pretentious twaddle of course, but good to suspend judgement and just try to see what they are seeing there. Given the location possibilities, it was a very challenging thing to attempt.

I thought that following the celeb portrait that was all about forgetting who you are and identifying what they are, a subject that went the opposite way and demanded a lot of your personal interpretation of the place was clever. Does of course make it seem the judges are asking for opposites.....but they are.

2. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

No, not useless at all. But more valuable, definitely.
    (In reply to Roger)

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That element of stretching and testing the contestants and not letting them get too comfortable or complacent about what's expected of them has been one of the better elements of the programme.

4. RovingMike

Yes and not letting them apply a predictable personal style to it all.

5. RovingMike

6. peanuts

peanuts Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the last task. I thought Marta really showed something we hadn't seen before. When she was taking the images I was thinking to myself, another weak task! but she really surprised me.

I was pleased they picked up on Lauras obsession with taking the same kind of shot of herself over and over instead of looking at things with new eyes. I started off thinking her work was beautiful and then quickly realised thats its just an obsession with herself that was repetitive and it was driving me nuts so Im pleased they picked up on it.

Yan's work made me cry and I was surprised by the judges negative response. But I think thats because his work touched a nerve with me. I was in a chair for two years and only recently partly recovered so I totally got where he was coming from. I was never into dance but the sentiment was the same and the way he's putting new energy into his daughters future. Totally got it! I was surprised he didn't use the image in the rain as opposed to the one with his head down. I thought that would have tied it in better.

7. RovingMike

Agree with all you said. I thought it was one of those subjects that invited pretentiousness and to some extent it did. But Laura did come out as a one trick pony and Roops didn't get it at all. Gabriele I think it was just pulled pained faces and then thought up a reason, but Yan did what was asked for.

8. RovingMike

So bets on the final? Probably Yan for me, with Marta second.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Must try and see this - we have temporarily lost the ability to record anything so if I don't happen to be in front of the TV while it's on...no go.

10. RovingMike

It gets repeated at least twice. Once is Weds before the new one on Thurs.

11. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I kind of lost interest in this, especially after being away for two weeks but I have finally caught up.

Laura finally proved she was the one trick pony, many thought she was. She should of gone in the landscape episode, only Neil decided to go with a postcard picture. I thought Rupert was in with a change but his series from London were pretty poor, especially the one taken from the roof of Buck House.

Marta was also poor in the landscape but played a cracker in the home sweet home episode.

Yan or Gabriele for the win, and Gabriele so he can stick it down Oliviero throat as he seems against him on every episode.

This week's episode is called Places & Faces, so at a guest more street photography.

12. peanuts

Yan or rupert for me. Didn't like ruperts last attempt but I think his other work has been quite strong. I don't know about Gabriele, he's big and bold but I just don't feel enough behind it. Marta to me only has one strong task so unless she produces something amazing this week I don't think thats enough. But I think overall my bets on Yan.

13. RovingMike

Might be right, but my only reason for putting Marta in with a shout for maybe second is they constantly praise her "improvement". Think they might be convincing themselves she is the "find" of the series. Agree Rupert has been good in most tasks, but he is somehow unconvincing and lack of imagination in the last round almost did for him, he suddenly went all documentary, which is really the day job. But Yan for the win.

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I managed only to see the second half of the programme last night, so didn't really get a feel for what the photographers were doing and only got to see the last picks. I thought Laura's was predictable, and Rupert's was dull. I suspect that Yan didn't choose the right images and that's why he wasn't as favoured by the judges this week, but then I only saw a tiny glimpse of what else he had shot. I liked Marta's work this week, and I loved Gabriele's stuff. I think Yan and Gabriele have been the most consistently convincing though. Hopefully, if the my daughter's school's Acheivement Ceremony tonight doesn't bang on for too long I will see the whole programme on time for once!

15. RovingMike

Well, I'm very surprised. Won't say who won in case people have taped it, but it was very clear one of my favourites had self-destructed. Think that location was a poisoned chalice, it is so bland, but that just adds to the challenge. Glad they reviewed all the work though, but really didn't pick the winner.

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Many of the most successful photographers are/were "one trick ponies", or sometimes very good at one thing and good at two or three others, plus the occasional lucky hit elsewhere. Who knows much about Lewis Carroll's still lifes, or David Bailey's war photography, or Margaret Bourke-White's rural landscapes, or David Hamilton's industrial photography, or O. Winston Link's nudes?

Shooting "a bit of this and a bit of that" is what stops countless photographers developing a real personal vision. They're too busy entering competitions to focus (as it were) on becoming better photographers.

Cheers,

R.

17. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I did think some of the locations were strange, but then again nearly all the contestants chose a pretty similar subject matter. Not sure around the bland location, surely the idea is to work to get the winning pictures.

Not just a one trick pony but narcissistic and had to include herself in most pictures no matter the subject. :)

peanuts likes this.
  18. peanuts

Well I was disappointed with the task and the winner.
    But the presenters gestures towards David where highly amusing and I love that Olivier and Simon had a bit of an altercation, nice to see him put in his place a bit!

Marta was strong again tonight, she has clearly gained a lot from the experience and has come out of it stronger. Will keep an eye on her work.

So who's signing up for the next one??

19. RovingMike

Well I like to flatter myself I'd survive a couple of rounds, like the first two and maybe even the last, but be horribly exposed on some others. I'd have some terrible bust ups with the judges and be arrested for strangling that stupid presenter woman.

peanuts likes this.
  20. RovingMike

Correct of course, but not sure entering competitions stops them from developing further. They just develop in another direction and one with more adrenalin, or immediate self-rewards. Many of them are just as one trick in their competition entries.

peanuts and Roger Hicks like this.