1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Arts Masters of Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Jul 17, 2016.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

2. RovingMike

Suggest we rip it to bits or whatever after we've seen it.
    I wonder what the body of landscape artists thought about their recent Landscape Artist OTY? Probably hated it. I thought there was enough pretentiousness from the judges to fill pseud's corner for a lifetime, but overall enjoyed it.

Madgesteve likes this.
  3. RovingMike

Well I enjoyed it. Irritating compere lady, could have cut in more of the shots they were taking, but critique was quite severe.

4. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it.
    Judges were quite clear most if not all had not followed the brief.
    English is not the first language of some so we need to make some allowance.
    E150k first prize!

5. RovingMike

Yes I'd have risked humiliation for that!

Actually I found the brief quite difficult. One did the over-literal and showed pictures on a wall, but others just didn't get it. I don't think the examples for stimulation helped a lot. Best "street" shot I thought was the nuns and wall poster, but art it wasn't. Woman who went out was given a very heavy clue not to use that shot, which was a bit dumb.

6. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Was quite disappointed in the programme, Isabella Rossellini was just annoying. The guest Alex Webb was under used and if they are the best 12 photographers in Europe, well I don't know what to say.

Also can't understand why they weren't using their own cameras, guessing sky did a nice deal with Leica

On the master of photography website you can see the pictures for this week's challenge, so can spend some time looking at them. http://www.masterofphotography.tv/extra/

The woman who was eliminated seems to complain that she didn't have enough time and also used the wrong picture, which IMHO was a holiday snapshot.

As of the others:-

Gabriele Micalizzi - A very heavily crop picture, the two oof girls I can live with but the lamppost centre, is just off putting.

Dragica Carlin - not really sure what we are looking at and certainly not the beauty of Rome

Yan Revazov - not a bad shot but a bit of a cliche, and why shoot from behind the nuns

Neal Gruer - I think, I like this one the best apart from the monitor screen which in a little to prominent for my liking.

Mary Stuart - nothing really interesting in this picture.

Laura Zalenga - another one I quite like but do wonder if she is a one trick pony, as a lot of her stuff is self portraits and how did she managed to get an empty Trevi Fountain?

Sebsatian Siebel - not sure what he was trying to achieve, and neither did he.

Rupert Frere - again another cliched shot

Lanka Perren - Cliched but I liked it and found it funny him arguing about NEVER cropping a picture but was happy to flip it :)

Hongwei Tang - more cliched work but wit a little bit of interest

Marta Garcia - this one falls between two stools, unless you'd see the programme you won't know what the item in the left of the picture was. OK you could say that adds a bit of mystery to the picture. The group of the right don't really add to the picture but the light is really great. Moving closer into the old woman and using the shadow of the tree and light off the wall would of made a much more interesting picture. We know she interacted with the old woman and would of liked to have seen some of those shots.

After all that, I'll be back to watch next week :-D

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I missed the first 15 minutes of it so also missed exactly what hte brief was meant to be, but I still quite enjoyed it. Not sure what the point of having an 'expert' there is if nobody's going to take on board the advice...don't turn it upside down/I prefer this shot to that one....he turned it upside down and she chose the boring shot!

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, I did get a little distracted at the end by family stuff, but was that Bruce Gilden I saw in the preview for next week? There should be some pretty 'forthright' advice coming from him then!

9. RovingMike

Don't disagree with your assessments, but they were just those chosen from applicants and I have no idea how far that was spread. I certainly didn't see it and don't think it was pushed out through RPS channels.
    Webb was not only underused, but mostly ignored by the contestants. He said quite plainly "something that actually happened" not a contrivance.Laura also looked to me like a one trick pony. Reminded me of the girl who won their Landscape Artist of the Year - whatever you sat her in front of (including Flatford) it was going to come out overgrown with a Sleeping Beauty briar thicket.
    I guess it will change with the assignments, but most there didn't strike me as "seeing eye" photographers, but were far more used to taking control and setting shots up.

Geren and londonbackpackr like this.
  10. Mark Adams

Mark Adams Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first episode and look forward to tonight's episode. What I learned from the show is that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder when you take photos.

I found that some of the photos they chose to be their best photographs though were pictures I would have never used and if I had taken them I would not been happy with them.

When they were critiqued at the end of the show, I think the right things were said. Black and white doesn't always make photographs better, and the photographer's in general didn't grasp the theme. Having had my honeymoon in Rome, they didn't capture the beauty of Rome for the most part.

Mark

Catriona likes this.
  11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Wash your mouth out with soap! B&W always improves a photograph! ;)

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Like a few enhancements, such as scratches, or oof... :rolleyes:

13. RovingMike

And a nice big vignette, sepia toning....don't need any content. ;)

Catriona likes this.
  14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

No content? A nice tree, all on its own in a field is a favourite of mine...

15. RovingMike

Completely blasted out by massive over-exposure to make a point about the values of modern society too I guess?

16. Fishboy

That sounds like it might work as a set...

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've included my own image, "Lone Tree at Sunset", part of my "Concealed Exposure" series, which demonstrates the "Purity of Thought" that I feel is missing in today's political landscape (contrasted, you see, with the purity in this photographic landscape). It wasn't easy waiting for this moment and getting the settings all correct.
    lonetree.jpg

londonbackpackr and Catriona like this.
  18. Fishboy

A little heavy-handed with the sharpening, but I can see what you're getting at.

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

As a white on white study, it is unsurpassed.

EightBitTony and Fishboy like this.
  20. RovingMike

Doesn't need the border.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.