1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skegness, Whitby ... or what?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Bettina, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

:D The 804 I think. Having this conversation has led me and the other half to attempt to book a week in York with an overnight stop in Whitby going over the moors by said Coastliner. In 2 weeks! :eek: So I am just praying that Auntie Beeb is up for giving time off at such short notice, otherwise we are scootled :(

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

If you can get to Pickering, you can use the Yorkshire Moors Railway to get to Whitby by steam, a very enjoyable journey which I can reccomend

3. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've driven a lot on the continent and in the U.S./Canada and my tip is to just remember that the driver should be closer to the middle of the road than the passenger.

4. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

It's not road positioning I have problems with it's reaching into the door bin for the hand brake and gear stick. Different matter on a bike, all the controls are in the right place and the passenger is still behind you...hope :) big scope for error in road positioning, especially first thing in the morning :eek:.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

If you can get to Pickering take your wellies, it's been flooded that mnany times recently you'd be best to check the the railway's oprtating before you get there.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

..of course if you get the chance go to Robin Hood's Bay.. ;)

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Best way is on foot - from St. Bees...

8. quiteone

quiteone Well-Known Member

I will be doing the c2c walk from St b,s to RHB later this year. :) Have you done the walk?

Bettina, Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay are by far the best options, you should visit both these places and surrounding areas, I'm sure you will not be disapointed.

Gaz

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup, did it way back in 1990 - and we're planning to do it again in 2010. Great walk.

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Exactly what we've got planned :) Staying in York, Coastliner or train to Pickering, (possible diversion to the brewery ;) ) then NYMR to Whitby/Scarborough. £14 return or £20 for Rover (hop on/hop off as many times as you like)

Fitting in Knaresborough on the way back.

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Have to agree it's an excellent walk. Personally I prefer to go from East to West.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly that way would build the scenic excitement rather than make it a little of an anticlimax scenically, and it also ensures you're completely fit for the hardest bits. However, I'll still stick with the original for two reasons - one, the fact that the weather tends to come from the west, so you've a better chance of not having the rain blowing in your face, and two, the pubs in Robin Hood's Bay are far superior and it's in just about every way a better place to end up in than St Bees. Oh, and three, you're better able to get the more boring bits done quickly...

13. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Ah, as someone who monitors the air quality in the Boro I can safely say there are a lot worse places than the Boro. Think about it, a lot of the heavy industry has long since gone. Mind you, its amusing to see some away supporters (football) in the stands wearing white overalls and gas masks ;)

14. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Depends on the wind direction. :rolleyes:

BTW, where were the 'away' supporters from?

15. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Wind direction? Quite true. If it's blowing up from London the air quality worsens ;)

As for the supporters, I believe it was either Sunderland or Newcastle supporters.......that says it all really! ;)

16. Benchmark

Makems - say no more. Toon supporters are much better behaved IMVHO. :D Mind, you were lucky to score a point against Kevin's men yesterday. :rolleyes:

On the rare occasions that the wind comes from the south-east we can smell the Teeside refineries, but it rareley lasts for long, and is not very strong.

No shortage of fresh air at Whitby though. :)

Some years ago when I lived with my parents near to Guildford, there was a big linoleum factory at Staines, and we could often smell that more than twenty miles away - and it was strong!

Of course most hard floor coverings are Vinyl these days, which I'm sure is much healthier (not). :(

17. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Yep, Mackems. We have a couple who work in our office. Actually, I have a bet with one of them that Boro will finish above Sunderland in the league. There's a crate of beer riding on it so its serious!

As for being lucky to get a point....well, I think it could have went either way. If Downing's free kick had gone in off the post we could have snatched it. Never mind, I've consoled myself with the fact we have pulled another point further away from Sunderland. I can almost taste the beer now :D

18. Benchmark

Reminds me of I joke I heard a year or two ago........

Around two O'clock one morning there was a fire at the Stadium of Sh Light, so the fire brigade called old Monkey Heed (Peter Reid) to tell him the bad news.

'Oh the cups, the cups' he cried. 'Don't worry Sir' said the fireman, 'the fire hasn't reached the canteen yet!' :D

19. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

:D :D :D I'll forward that to work and send it to the Mackems :D

20. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Unless you're in a right hand drive car :D