1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skegness, Whitby ... or what?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Bettina, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

It's that time of the year again when my mum has threatened to visit me in London. I'm now hiring a skip to get rid of all the junk.

Last year we went to Morocco for a few days which was great. But this year, I thought of going to a seaside town. Now, as I don't have a car, I would need to get there from London by train or National Express. I came across Whitby and Skegness. Has anyone been and could recommend these places. Or is there another one I should look into (we've already been to the Isle of Wight).

2. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Of those two I'd opt for Whitby, more photo ops IMO.

But there are a plethora of seaside towns, some more salubrious than others. Down the coast from Whitby is Scarborough, with it's Norman castle remains, St Mary's church (by the castle) last resting place of one Anne Bronté. On the other side of the country is Morecambe, Blackpool, Lytham St. Annes, Southport, New Brighton.

Further South you've got a handful in Wales; Llandudno, Rhyll, Port Merrion. Back into England; Newquay, Torquay, Mousehole, Bournemouth, Eastbourne, Hastings, Broadstairs, Brightlingsea, Gt Yarmouth.. To name a few. :rolleyes:

3. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Whitby, scenery, history, Frank Medow Sutcliffe gallery, ruined abbey, Bram Stoker the Yorkshire Moors and trains from York. On the other hand Skegness - 'its bracing', been there nothing else to say.

4. Bettina

Problem is getting to Whitby without a car. There's not even a direct train connection to York. Which would be nice for a day out. I haven't even been able to find out if there are bus connections to eg Scarborough.

Blackpool, nice one. But that would be too much of a culture shock for her. She's German, remember, and and German seaside resorts are very sleepy. Hastings would be a nice day trip from London.

I really don't know. Maybe it's Morocco again ...

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

That'd get my vote, warmer sand. :D

6. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten the German ancestry, best not tell her that Scarborough Castle and Whitby Abbey both suffered bombardment from boats during WW1, the mother in law is Austrian, I know what you mean re Blackpool, Oma would not approve.

7. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've never really taken to Hastings.

What about combining Whitstable and Canterbury, they're only about five miles apart but feel totally different.

Or Rye in East Sussex is always nice even though the tide went out there several hundred years ago.

Or, if the sea is entirely optional, Oxford?

8. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

York to Middlesborough, Middlesborough to Whitby. Then again, to get there from Scotland I had to change at Newcastle and Middlesborough.

Yeah there are buses from Scarborough to Whitby, my Sis's bf was taking the bus to Whitby when we were there on a hol. Trains are just Middlesborough to Whitby, about an hour and a half, as it goes down one route, reverses back up and round another route to pick up all the villages on the way. Nice but make sure you've got a good mp3/book for it if the weather's not too nice. Have a vhs of the journey [one of those "cab ride videos" for enthusiasts, and it still makes me smile when you come round a bend and "see" Whitby harbour]

As for Whitby itself, yeah, plenty of photo ops, and if you time it over the Regatta weekend, there's entertainment for a weekend, and the rest of the week to recover ;). Plenty of coffee places / pubs for when the weather's not too hot. I'll shush about Whitby now, been there 36 times, so I kind of like it ;).

arriva buses link

G>

9. Bettina

Thanks for the link. Very useful

I guess I will have to present the options to my mum and see what she says ... ah well.

10. pachinkofan

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pickering to Whitby on North York Moors Railway....mind tis a bit on the dear side...you get great views of Fylingdale early warning station....even though it's not there! :D
    Whitby, Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington are nice places -been to Scarborough today :D..unfotunately rather overcast so not a lot on the photgraphic front :(

12. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Whitby gets my vote, know it like the back of my hand - been going there since I was born and still go when I have the chance.

The train ride from Middlesbrough isn't too bad - in fact it's rather nice in it's own right. The ride is a bit bumpy as the carriages are too long for the track and you feel like the train is going to jump out on tight corners.
    There's a bus service that you can catch from York to Whitby (starts at Leeds I think) they all pass though the village where I live just outside of York, Yorkshire Coastliner. if that helps.

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I would immediately wipe out the Skeggy idea

Definitely recommend Whitby or Scarborough. Hopw long you going for? Why not spend a night or two in say Scarborough then move onto Whitby or somewhere? Do either of you drive? If so I would recommend just hiring a car and making the most of it (either direct from London or catch the train to Scarborough, or even just York and hiring a car there for a coupla days).

Drive all over the N Yorks Moors, the heather, Fylingdales, Goathland, look in the Caves...Castleton, have a look round Robin Hood's Bay, Hutton-le-Hole, Rievaulx Abbey, sorry these are off the top of my head so not in any particular order, you'd have to select a few and prder them.

if you dont drive, or even if you do, consider the N York Moors Railway too. You could stay in either Scarborough or York and do day trips, they do loads of day returns on the train from York, which has some most excellent pubs and restaurants and I would stay there a few days just for itself.

14. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Sorry i didnt read iot properly you want seaside...in which case Id stick with Scarborough/Whitby idea and use the bus service. (Sorry N York Moors :( )

15. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Middlesborough = Middlesbrough ;)

16. pachinkofan

ah, soz... I only stop there for a few minutes at a time, so didn't realise ;)

G>

17. Bettina

So, you would be standing in the road with big posters welcoming us?! ;)

18. Bettina

I don't mind driving in England - as long as I have a left hand steered car. My brain just doesn't work in the right hand seat. :(

19. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

No problem, common mistake but one I 'need' to correct ;)

20. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

far too long... ;) :D

Middlesborough = Middlesbrough = 'boro = smoggyland :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)