1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SK8's tricks

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Serge1975, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Hello!

One action shot for you appraisal from the evening session with skateboarders from Maidstone :)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Serge

2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

nice. a bit more ambient light would be nice, or more light on the guy laying down, but then maybe the shadow on the wall woudn't be so strong, and the that would be a shame as the shadow is ace.

3. Serge1975

Well spotted lfc1892! :) I have many pictures from this session but picked this one up just because of this shadow on the building behind :)

Thanks for your comment.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Think you will find the shadow is dense enough to benefit greatly from upping the levels overall, so it will be clearer on all monitors.

5. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I agree - I have a calibrated IPS monitor (a cheap one, I'll admit) and found that shadow barely visible...

There's a lot of nice detail lost in the background that you can retrieve - something like this might have more impact?

[​IMG]
    Sk8 by NosamLuap (aka Paul Mason), on Flickr

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Given a choice between navigating Maidstone's traffic system and letting my mate run over me on a skateboard...

Yes, tweak those levels, because the shadow makes it, and maybe splat the reddish glow through the doorway just to concentrate on skater and shadow a bit more?

Adrian

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The altered version is so much better, you can see what is going on and the context is clear. A nicely caught move.

8. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

after Pauls worked his magic fingers over it great shot ....very nice

9. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Nice edit.

10. Serge1975

Thank you all for your comments and thanks to Paul for his edit - it makes this picture much better. I need to adjust my monitor then - it is too bright I guess, as I could see this shadow without any problems... But now I can see it even better :)

Cheers,
    Serge

11. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

yes to the shadows discussion (monitors? who knows?)

but shouldn't that be a portrait format?

12. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

but then surly you'd loose the great shadow on the wall...maybe square crop ?? to loose the archway that really doesn't do much for the photo

13. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

yes agree

14. Serge1975

Thanks for more comments. First picture isn't a great candidate for portrait because, as southonline mentioned, I'd loose shadow. But :) There is another pic from that day and it fits portrait in my opinion very well :)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Serge

15. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

yeaaaah! that second one is much better for me. the colours, composition, pose, face and shadow are all better. needs lightening a tad again though...

wicked photo.

[​IMG]
    sk84_edit by Myopic George, on Flickr