1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sites north of Loch Ness

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by clive bennett, Jul 24, 2017.

1. clive bennett

clive bennett Member

Up to Scotland this Autumn and looking for :Landscape photo locations north of Loch Ness , know of Glen Affric but not much else Any good castles? Views Please

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If you get up to Skye, and feel lazy, stop off at Kilt Rock and walk from the car to the fence, look left and the waterfall plunges 60m straight down to the sea.

S

clive bennett likes this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The Black Isle might be nice in autumn as there are at least trees.... That's as far as I've been though. I'd hope there is more spectacular stuff around otherwise it's mostly pretty flat and bleak with the occasional nice beach.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Go West, then North or South - both are beautiful. North of Ullapool then strike off to the Coigach peninsula, or keep going. You'll stop a lot for the views!

Or you could take a trip to the Summer Isles.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was told that Scotland offers a warm welcome to tourists...I didn't realise quite how warm.

Cheers, Jeff

clive bennett and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

Only if you upset us! Haha!
    I'll have you know I had two generations resident there, including my grandmother, so you'd better behave.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There is a wee place called Balnain just to the west of Loch Ness where the locals seem to be absolute lunatics on bikes and have balls of steel. Been a while since I've been but I doubt they've found much else to do so hopefully there is still much craziness and honing of skills going on in that forest.

8. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

I think you'd be completely spoilt for choice. Lochcarron, Torridon, Gairloch, to name but a few.

Zou and clive bennett like this.
  9. clive bennett

clive bennett Member

Thank you so much will look them up and visit

10. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

The area around Torridon is magnificent and very varied. You could stay there for weeks and not get bored. :)

11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The Kyle of Tongue and Ben Loyal area is worth a visit.

Zou, clive bennett and Catriona like this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you are fit, have a good head for height and don't mind some personnal risk, then I suggest a traverse of Liathach. Am Fasarinen Pinnacles are about as challenging a scramble as bold and experienced hillwalkers will attempt. The exposure is thrilling. A bit further North there is An Teallach. More people die falling off An Teallach than falling of Liathach. Both these very rewarding traverses are best done by people who find scrambles like the Lake District's Jack's Rake somewhat tame.

13. clive bennett

clive bennett Member

If only I were 20 years younger sounds a great scramble, but too much for me

14. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

I must recommend Gairloch. I think you'll like it. Image shot with a Praktica MTL50 35mm SLR. 50mm standard lens with polarizing filter. The film was Fujichrome RD 100.
    gairloch03.jpg

clive bennett and Zou like this.
  15. clive bennett

clive bennett Member

will definitely try this, scenery fabulous and great weather as well!

16. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

If you're visiting Gairloch, wait until you get the evening light. You should get some striking images. Photograph taken with a tripod-mounted Praktica B100. Lens 28mm. Aperture f32. Speed 1/2 sec. Cable release used. Film Konica SR-G 100.

gairloch06.jpg

clive bennett and Zou like this.
  17. Catriona

Lovely colour around in Autumn. Here are some views from Polbain, North of Ullapool.
    Even the road from Inverness to Ullapool has its attractions.
    polbain 3 ap.jpg polbain view South ap.jpg road to ullapool ap.jpg

Zou, clive bennett and Bandersnatch like this.