1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sisterly Love

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Lounge Lizard, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: I beg to differ

Seymour, I'm lousy at all aspects of both processes! ;)

For the rest, I don't disagree, actually.

2. sey

sey Well-Known Member

Re: the debate continues

Huw, you are such an elegant provocateur, but I'm not even going to nibble at, never mind take the bait............told you before this was a gentle rant ;)

3. sey

sey Well-Known Member

Re: I beg to differ

:) :)

4. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Seymour, you're still making out as if I was somehow engaging in double-speak here. I've done nothing of the sort. And I'm not trying to bait you or anyone else either. All I have done is give an answer to a question, and then repeatedly had to deal with the misinterpretations that others have imposed upon it.

5. sey

sey Well-Known Member

ok. :)

6. Re: the debate continues

All I said was, I think the "original looks better"

The debate that followed is interesting and does demonstrate the multitude of views that proponents of our hobby hold!

However, though all the main protagonists here have used almost ever technical skill in the pursuit of their photography, can I just make one simple point.

Is not a truly excellent picture, one that we got right first time, without manipulation either in the camera or in the darkroom or the computer ?

I think it is. Before you all erupt again - large format - is that not simplicity of function? Some of you will then probably say "a rising front is in camera manipulation!"

Ignoring that, honestly, do you not admire the work of those who spend literally hours gaining the perfect shot?

At the other end of the spectrum, the grabbed shots that so made Capa's War pictures memorable?

We can admire natural talent in other walks of life, so why not in photographer?

I maintain that if David can take a picture of two sisters that we`all say "Great Shot", then that is much higher praise than saying "well manipulated!"

My position? Well you've guessed it. The photos I regard as my best are those that came exactly right as I pressed the shutter.

Manipulation? Certainly I do it - it is particularly necessary for the web - in fact I am very proud of this one done last week! (Ugh you cry!) Honest, this is Seriously original manipulation!

[​IMG]

I say "original" because though I didn't take it, I invented a good 40% of it! There should be camera handling courses for Villa owners - he took a picture of his kitchen with the door half shut!

My best effort is gone now, but I had to remove a wheelbarrow from the porch, a cement mixer from the foreground and the photographer's thumb from most of the roof! Suppose I posted that here - would it constitute Great Photography?

Photography? Certainly! But not as I know it!

Paul

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"Is not a truly excellent picture, one that we got right first time, without manipulation either in the camera or in the darkroom or the computer ?"........................nope, that's a "lucky" shot Paul, "greatness" in photographic terms can be either "lucky" or "contrived"...................it's the end result that counts, although a shot which looks overly contrived can never be "great"..............in my book anyway.

BigWill

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well tickle me sideways with a bargepole, I'm in complete agreement! :eek:

9. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Agreement - huh!

Agreement? Here? Something must be wrong! ;)

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:eek: Can someone check to see if hell has frozen over ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

;)

Morning Nick,

:)

Jack

11. sey

sey Well-Known Member

Something very serious is happening.

I'm very worried, Nick is being so agreeable in this discussion,

Where have we gone wrong? :D ;)

12. Re: the debate continues

Hes using my Minolta XGM this week.

Relaxing, thinking kindly of the neighbours, going back to his boyhood roots.

Yes ,the calming influence of a good film camera.

Some of you "technophotoshoppers" should try it once in a while. The pleasure of knowing when you pressed the trigger, you "dun it". No post processing stress. Go on try it - you know it makes sense! Imagine a life without "should I have added more sharpening"

(Advert - still time to sign up & use it!)

Paul

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah - still not finished the film, though, courtesy of the grim weather. Be nipping out in a bit to do so!

Anyway, I'm very agreeable. It's you lot that seldom say anything worth agreeing with! ;)

14. iggy

iggy Member

Re: The original (for Paul)

I agree with Paul. I would see how it looks converted to black & white without the `grain` but only because I prefer black & white. Very different shots though. Not just in terms of formality but the first is more a portrait of a girl with her sister rather than of two sisters. Much more intimate but there`s a place for the formal two-shot too.

Like them both.