1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single vs continous

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Sep 9, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Just been browsing the forum looking at all the different topics and spotted talk of the new Eos 90d, After a quick google I found myself reading comparisons between the 5div and 1dx? God knows why??
    Regardless, reading the comment section people were raving by the higher FPS of these cameras.

For the record I have never used continuous drive ever, I normally follow the action and try to predict what is about to happen. Occasionally I might rattle off two successive frames, but the idea of just rattling 10FPS in the hope of capturing the moment leaves me baffled. If I were a pro and my living depended on getting "the" shot then fair Do's, but the average amateur?? Where on earth is the satisfaction from mulling over 1/10th of a second action sequences. I really don't get it.

How many of you are guilty of the "spray & pray" approach.
    After you've taken 2-3k of pictures and selected the best, what do you do with it, do you print it off and stick it on your living room wall?

Its completely alien to me, I find the whole concept just a huge waste of time personally.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This question is a regular. Some people do blast away and mirrorless cameras offer much higher burst rates than even the 1Dx. A birdwatching hide can get very noisy when something moves!

Personally I too tend to take two individual shots, quickly, rather than hold the shutter release down, A camera with a burst rate of 5 or 6 fps is generally enough to allow that to be done sufficiently quickly, as the higher the burst rate the faster the camera recovery for the second shot. It is nice to have 10 fps for occasional use but anything faster and it is impossible (for me at least) to then take a single shot, so I usually have burst rate set to low on my 1Div which can do 10 fps if asked. The only use I can think of for the medium and high burst rate settings on my Fuji is as a joke when someone wants to try the camera - touch the shutter release and it goes mad!

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Depends what I'm photographing. Mostly single shot, but I'll use a slow burst for rugby matches, birds in flight or group portraits. I only ever use fast burst rate for falcons in flight.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I rarely use continuous shooting, I can hit the shutter button at several frames per second if necessary but I generally want to take a sequence more slowly than that. Even then I rarely need any kind of high frame rate, the D4 is capable of 11 fps but I don't think I have ever needed that may. I don't remember using an F5 on Ch (8fps) but it all depends on what your subject is and how fast your lens can keep up.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It would be rude of me to mention that I found your post a huge waste of time. :rolleyes:

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fast bursts for sports (mostly rugby and surfing) and wildlife. Occasionally for paid portraiture - I aim to get the shot with the first in the burst, but it's insurance against blinking. Slow bursts very occasionally for conference speakers.

Learning and EightBitTony like this.
  7. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Some people take at least 2 continuous shots in case the initial pressing the shutter induced movement in the first.

Terrywoodenpic and EightBitTony like this.
  8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I will use burst shooting for moving subjects but I do usually try and anticipate the moment of important action rather than shoot long bursts in some vague hope of capturing something of interest. Life's too short to sort through stupid numbers of images in the vague hope that one is A) interesting or important and B) in focus... That said an afternoon of cricket can still generate rather a lot of images to trawl through.

None of my cameras are particularly high speed either and max out at 7fps and I've had success with the D30's measly 3...

peterba likes this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Years ago, I bought a used 1D Mk2 (max. 8.5 f.p.s.), and I went shooting wildlife at an appropriate location. Filled with enthusiasm at my new-found toy's capabiIities, I exploited the high frame rate to a great extent. I returned home with, IIRC, more than 350 shots. I went through them all (it took bl**dy hours!), and deleted all the poor shots. I was left with........ errrrrrrr, precisely 0 (yes, that's zero) shots. Lesson learned. :(

I now shoot single frame, and try to shoot for the 'good shot'. If I don't get it... well, tough! :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    nimbus likes this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Why? and why the need to be rude?

steveandthedogs and PentaxManiac like this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

I’m afraid existential questions are above my pay grade.

12. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

But a good idea to "waste time" posting a reply?

PentaxManiac likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

and why not? Come to think of it: why did you waste time replying to my time wasting reply?

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Don't I know it... Earlier this year I worked out how to get 5fps instead of 4 out of my camera. It burns cards so fast that as soon as I remember what the hell I did I'm turning it back!
    (the fact that my hamstring has called time on my season will help too)

Adrian

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Then don't do it, but also, don't expect your outwardly negative view of the approach to garner many responses. When you start out by using accusatory phrases such as 'who's guilty ...' you kind of dampen the desire to engage.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

With my very shaky hand I tend to use low burst most of the time and fire off bursts of three. the first is usually the least sharp, but even such a short burst give you options between what are usually quite different results even on semi static subjects like portraits. what is happening around the subject in action shots can be very different indeed and having a choice can greatly improve the shot. It also give you cloning opportunities.

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged...with my Canon 1D Mk IV.
    I normally use single shot or just a short burst when I'm photographing birds or amateur events, but I have held the button down when capturing "Tour of Britain" professional cyclists at the end of a sprint stage. The small group of leaders was easy, but when the mass of the peloton with cycling celebrities arrived, the high fps allowed me to get half-decent shots of key cyclists as they shot past our vantage point. For this particular event at Princes Risborough in 2014 I needed not only a high frame rate but also a decent buffer. At the 2018 "Tour of Britain" hill climb at Burton Dassett I captured a recognisable Geraint Thomas following his earlier success in the Tour de France.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A slight digression...

The old Nikon 1 V1 has what they call Smart Photo Selection Mode, which takes a number (10?) pics and selects what it thinks are the best four.

I know this because the mode selector dial is in a silly, vulnerable place and I set mine to this mode accidentally. And spent a couple of hours wondering why it was taking so long to save my pictures. And I had so many more than I thought. :oops:

Digression over, back to your scheduled programme...

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Went out to get a shot I had in mind this morning and wouldn't be surprised if there was 100 shots on my memory card now. There have been times I've found a subject and not stopped working the shot until the memory card is full.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A slow burst of someone making a speech sometimes catches a range of expressions. Some the subject might like, most the subject would not find flattering.