1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly rainbows ... this time on front cover ...

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by mfc, May 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mfc

mfc Member

OK, were're now trained to accept post-edited photographs without a murmur. After all, it is 'their art'.

But do we really have to have this 'art' on the front cover of the best photography magazine?

[Saturday 4 May 2019: on the cover, the rainbow is straight ahead, whereas the sun is inconveniently around 40° clockwise from the photographer...]

Mike

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Must admit, being a subscriber, I rarely look at the cover but I agree that it doesn't look all that credible.

3. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I notice at least one of our regulars here in the first link above... Scott, where for art thou?

Adrian

5. PeteRob

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I see Dougie Cunningham up there again. He comes over here quite a lot too, though I see his winner was in Sutherland. He sure is single minded!

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not quite sure what your point is here. The sun does not have to be right behind you to see a rainbow. In my example below the shadow of the figure angles across the ground showing the sun is off to my right by quite some degree...

[​IMG]
    Rainbow Colour
    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

Whether the intensity of the rainbow is real or the product of enhancement is a rather more moot point though...

8. PeteRob

I think it is the portrait crop for the cover that does it. The original landscape shot, as Andy provided links to, is truly incredible but losing the ends makes it look contrived, that was my thought when I looked at it, it isn't a natural portrait orientation shot.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree, there's usually a residual pale tapering out at the end, a fuzzy ending of the arc. Perhaps the darkened shadows at its ends obliterated that finish. I see why you doubt the validity though.

10. PeteRob

I'm now a convert. I doubted the cover to the May 4th edition but post #3 convinced me of the provenance. Amazing conditions and position of the figure, one of those magic moments that you can forgive someone wearing red in the countryside.

Catriona likes this.
  11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Agreed, but if you turned to face the centre of the rainbow. your back would be to the sun.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

When I saw the cover I knew the image looked familiar: has it been printed in AP before?

Can I make my usual complaint about cover images? I need a strong magnifying glass to read the credits hidden at the top left of page 3, and even then it's not always obvious which credit refers to which image.